Sign in to follow this  
snapple2993

Questions About Possible Upgrades To My Pc

I am wondering what would be a good vid card, not a 256mb but maybe a 128, I dont really wanna spend more than like $250 for a card, anybody know a place where I can get a kick ass one for that price?

Also, I am wondering about ram. Now I have 512mb of PC800. Can I just go buy another 512 and add that to my system, and instantly have a faster PC?

I just had to switch out my DVD drive (since it nearly ate disc 1 of NHL2004). And I was lookin around my dell, and saw that it shouldnt be to hard to add ram and a vid card, but then again I dont know dick about squat when it comes to PC's.

What would I have to do software wise? Is it all just plug and play?

Seriously I need help with these Q's, Im not planning on making an attempt at upgrading for atleast a month.

Cheers, Thanks,

Mista Saffell

Snap, here is an article at Toms Hardware Guide that may offer you some more info. Toms Hardware

ATI 9000 PRO, ATI 9600, NVIDIA GeForce FX-5200, NVIDIA GeForce FX-5600 are all good low to mid-range price cards.

As for more RAM, what operating system are you running. WinMe wont run more than 512 mb RAM. If you are using WinXP, then you can add more. It usually helps to speed things up a bit though it may not always be noticable to you. If you are using PC-800 RAM, you probably have a higher end system that will do well with the added RAM. I would try another 512 MB stick.

Software wise, make sure when you get your video card to follow its install directions very carefully. Likely there will be a new driver online for it when you get the card so download the driver first and have it ready. Then its usually a good idea to remove your old drivers for your old video card first before installing the new card. Once the old drivers and card are out and the new card is in, then install the new drivers. Make sure the drivers are compatable with the version of DirectX you are running.

If you are going to install hardware like RAM and a video card, be aware that they are very supceptable to static electricity. The 50 volts in a "carpet shock" is enough to toast a circuit on a card. Use a grounding wrist strap that you can buy at the computer store for a couple dollars. Before you work on your machine make sure it is unplugged. Then touch the power supply box to discharge any static you may likely have.

It is not very difficult to add these hardware items, though sometimes getting them to work isnt always so easy. Make darn sure the stick of RAM you buy is the same as the stick you have. I know CompUSA will test the old stick at their store for you and make sure what you buy is compatable, so take the old one with you in a static bag. Ive had some big headaches there before I discovered what the problem was.

I like putting them together. Kinda like my model building days when I was a kid, only more voltage, hehe. If you need anymore help, PM or email me. Good luck.

Edited by pcpilot