Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Jasta 14 Dr.1 color?

Anybody know the color of Dr.1 583/17 of Jasta 14? It has the same scheme of Dr.1 198/17 of Jasta 14.

But are the center stripes red and white? Are all the stripes red and white? Or is it a take your best guess kind of things? Here are some picks:

A little dark.

Or is it the same plane as 198/17?????? Just wrong caption??????

Edited by quack74

No, they're two different aircraft. They both belonged to Ltn Johannes Werner, the Staffelfuhrer of Jasta 14.

583/17 was his "back up" machine, and at this time ALL the dark striping was black, just like 198/17.

583/17 was later handed down to Gefreiter Reinhold Preiss who personalised it by having the vertical bars overpainted in red...We know this because on 9th June 1918, he (Preiss) was shot down and became a POW, and 583/17 was given the British capture number G/2 Bde/15. It was the subject of a British detailed report which included a record of the colours of the markings.

The correct skin version is the top one, although to be strictly accurate, when it was shot down, all the crosses were of the straight sided, Balkenkreuz type EXCEPT for the upper wing crosses, which were still the earlier Eiserneskreuz...If you look closely you can see this in the photo.

Regards.

Bucky

PS. Did you ever get round to doing that alternate version of the "J11 Red Stripes" Dr.I, without the red band under the cockpit? :wink:

Edited by Southside Bucky

Well bucky you definitely know your stuff. With all that info I will post a skin of 583/17. But I think I'll leave the markings off. Just so everybody can use it for all of 1918 if they want. I also made Dr.1 144/17 Ltn. Stapenhorst of Jasta 11, and Dr.1 163/17 Ltn. Linsingen of Jasta 11. And I'll post J11 Red Stripe with an olive drab band around cockpit. No problem at all. :good:

So I'll post 3 Dr.1's and a patch for red stripe. Again thks southside bucky :ok:

...I think I'll leave the markings off. Just so everybody can use it for all of 1918 if they want.

Up to you of course, but d'you think it might be more accurate to give it permanent upper wing iron crosses, then let the game change all the others according to the date?

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Southside Bucky

Not a bad idea :good:

I'll do it that way