Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Biohazcentral's Trackir Review Is Now Online

OK, so I'm a little late. Like 6 months late... =) But my review of NaturalPoint's great little TrackIR unit is finally here.

The theory is pretty simple actually.  There is 4 LED’s flanking a small sensor behind the TrackIR lens. These LED’s continually send out pulses of invisible light, which bounce off the reflective dots (or any other highly reflective surface) and are seen by the sensor and converted to motion data via the onboard processor chip. The unit can keep track of the position of the dot as it changes in regards to the TrackIR unit.  The resulting motion tracking is converted to cursor position. Simple, right?

So, what did I think of this much-discussed and often-misunderstood piece of hardware? Read the full review here.

I am sold, I am getting one for Xmas :), and I think Fates is too! LOMAC and FS2004 should be great fun with this device, I am going to use it for some movies with FS 2004 and the FD3 addon (and a review perhaps of FD3). This is actually similiar to how a Supply Boat Dynamically Positions itself from us, their system is called Fan Beam, but it works with a reflector on our ship and Laser from the boat senses relative motion of the Supply boat process the boats thrusters to keep the boat in a certain position relative to our ship.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the review!

Cheers

Beer