Sign in to follow this  
ArgonV

Target: Flanders To Be Shelved:

JoGunn, the now project leader for the WWI mod Target: Flanders posted a couple of days ago at www.ww1sims.com that Target: Flanders developement will be winding down in anticipation for the release of a new WWI project for Targetware.

Here is what he had to say:

"Target Flanders is clocking down it's final days. Look for a new WW1 Module to be announced for Targetware in the near future.

Why you ask? Well, since you didn't really ask I'll not comment unless someone does in fact want to know!

I do hope you'll stop by and take a look around when you hear news that the new mod is up and running. It is even now still a beta so if you cannot be bothered with looking at a work in progress then consider watching for a announcement that we are finished. From what I know of this sim and the Targetware Community there will be updates and attention paid to this mod for as long as it exists. We do not have to play second fiddle as the players run the show!

Stay tuned

JoGunn"

When I inquired about the reasons for this, he responded:

"Target Flanders will be the base of the new mod. IN other words we will use the current planes and terrain tiles.

A name for the new mod has been selected. It will be announced near the time the updated Targetware WW1 mod is made available to the public.

The Target:Flanders mod is being shelved for the following reason. While I was perhaps the first to inquire on the targetware forums about a WW1 mod for their flight engine I did not start the project. The original team has drifted away for various reasons. I did not want to see the dream of a player built WW1 sim fade away as well. I share a similar "Vision" that the original team did but perhaps am not focused on being as historically "Rigid". In other words I want to keep everything as historically accurate as possible but not at the expense of lowering the "Fun" level for the average player. An evening of flying without contacting the enemy is not a "Welcome Relief" for me - as it was stated in the original Target:Flanders "Vision Statement"

I do not intend to build a arcade game or a furball server. Targetware is very flexible and we will likely experiment with a variety of game play options within the scenario system.

But to answer the question of why shelve Target Flanders ...... I was uncomfortable with the notion of taking the work of the original team and changing into something that they didn't approve of. Even though they have to some extent abandoned it, I want to archive the Target Flanders mod and leave it in it's present state in the event that they may one day have a renewed interest and bring the vision of a "Day at the Front" style server back once again.

In the meantime I will take the best of what TF had to offer in my opinion and mix in my idea of what will make a new WW1 mod fun for as many WW1 flight sim enthusiasts as possible. It will certainly be flexible and modifyible and I will attempt to be in tune what the community flying it wants. I cannot please all of you all of the time but I can try!

We have a great core team working on this mod. The one bottleneck at the moment is 2D artists. If I had skinners who were as excited as the rest of us about whats coming the new planes would be hitting the sim at a much faster rate. If you come check out the new mod and you have the ability to produce aircraft skins and would like to help out please be sure to contact me. With the help of the great 2D guys who are currently associated with Target:Rabaul , Target:Korea and Target:Hanoi we will slowly get skins on our WW1 kites. (someone else has hogged all the other WW1 skinners it seems) LOL

Watch for the public release, come check us out

www.targetware.net"

So things sound pretty promising on the Targetware front! B)

Edited by ArgonV