Sign in to follow this  
themightysrc

Longevity (aircraft, not pilots...)

Hi all,

Here's one for you to ponder.

We currently have 39 flyables in OFF, with the promise of a few more to come in the indeterminate future. Of these aircraft, which ones should be the most flown on the basis that they served longest in WWI?

Also - and this is probably more interesting, and will cause most rows - which aircraft *not* currently available in OFF should be in, on the basis of their longevity as front line aircraft?

All replies will be gratefully devoured...

Edited by themightysrc

We currently have 39 flyables in OFF, with the promise of a few more to come in the indeterminate future. Of these aircraft, which ones should be the most flown on the basis that they served longest in WWI?

It would have to be 2-seaters, which weren't replaced with anywhere near the same regularity as scouts (and some were used well past their prime). I'd say the BE2, the FE2, and the DFW. The DFW/LVG family served from nearly the beginning to the end without enough change between the various models to really make much difference in game terms. Even the Fee continued to the end of the war as a night bomber.

Also - and this is probably more interesting, and will cause most rows - which aircraft *not* currently available in OFF should be in, on the basis of their longevity as front line aircraft?

Again, 2-seaters. There were always more of them than scouts. Some that pop to mind are the Rumplers, the DH4, the FK8. Also, some twin-engine Caudrons.

I can only guess (fighters):

- Albatros DV versions

- S.E.5a versions

- Sopwith Camel

- SPAD VII

The Nieuports varied so often, that there was never a long time version, I think.

Fighters, that should be added sooner or later:

- Morane Parasol

- Morane Saulnier N

- Fokker DV and DVI

- Roland DII

- Nieuport 27 and 28

- Pfalz DXII

- Siemens-Schuckert DI and DIII

- Sopwith Snipe

Edited by Olham

Hi all, I agree with bullethead. He stated that 2 seaters types were replaced slower then the faster turn over rate of single seaters during WWI. as for types: The Albatross C types, The French Caudrons, The Rumpler types. and all the FE s. As for other thoughts : Which a/c would I like to see in off : All the above plus Fokker D-II and or D-III s and Haniorts and the Farman types of 1915. Which a/c should be in OFF but are Not based on how long they were there in the line: Rumplers, N27 or 28, Gotha s.

To be fair Al, there was a machine gun for the observer, if I've read correctly. Probably about as much use as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking party, but there nonetheless. I wish we had that in OFF!

The longest-lived individual aircraft may well be Sopwith Camel B6313 which was flown for almost a year (2 Oct 1917 - 29 Sept 1918) by the same pilot, Bill Barker VC. He clocked up 379h25m in her, and the total airframe hours were 404h10m. Somebody put on 5 hours before he arrived in France.

See the interesting article at:

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter1/barkers-camel.htm

This aircraft is also thought to have the highest score of any before or since.

The longest serving aircraft type must be the BE2 in its various forms, though I'm not sure if it was still an operational type by the end of the war, having been replaced by the RE8 and A-W FK8. I certainly hope no-one was still flying over the lines in them in 1918.