Sign in to follow this  
godzilla1985

RoF AI's FM's accurate after latest patch?

I decided to give RoF another go since they did release another patch yesterday. Wow these guys really swing from one extreme to the other, with the previous patch I was at least able to have some success in the 1 vs 1 russian roulette, no matter what AC I flew I was able to down several AC and the ubber AI gunnery seemed to be toned down. Now with this latest patch it seems like the ubber AI gunners are back and the AI aircarft have superior FM's again. In the last patch if I flew the Albatros DV against the Nieuport 28 he could eventually outpace me in level flight, quite accurate since the Ni-28 is slightly faster the the DV in level flight. But before he could get too far away I could land some rounds on target. But with this latest patch the Ni-28 not only runs away fast from me but does it also while climbing! I found this to be true also with the DVII vs the Ni-28. Utter frustration again

I can't comment on this latest patch, because about a week ago I rebuilt my system ( two new SSD's in a RAID0 array should finally cut down load times *lol*). Unfortunately, I may never find out how much it helps the RoF load times, because I haven't reinstalled RoF - and I'm not sure I will.

Sorry for your frustration, but there's a lot of that going around, where this title is concerned. I hope one day we're all going to see it get better, but I have a feeling you might start getting used to the frustration.

I can't comment on this latest patch, because about a week ago I rebuilt my system ( two new SSD's in a RAID0 array should finally cut down load times *lol*). Unfortunately, I may never find out how much it helps the RoF load times, because I haven't reinstalled RoF - and I'm not sure I will.

Sorry for your frustration, but there's a lot of that going around, where this title is concerned. I hope one day we're all going to see it get better, but I have a feeling you might start getting used to the frustration.

I agree Tamper, I'm fast approaching the delete from HD mode also. I was going to let it "ride" for awhile but this newest patch just put another nail in the coffin. The mandatory updating is really the big problem for me. The previous patch at least made the game playable (for me) while it added nothing to the content of the game at least I could take it up every now and again and enjoy a little combat lite with some beautiful AC, now it's back to just sight seeing if I leave it on my HD. I really hate the manditory updating even if you don't play MP.

You're not the only one who thinks the 'forced' updates are problematic. And it was touted as a 'feature' - a big reason the online requirement was 'necessary'.

Well, like many, I don't want to be forced into updates. Like it or not, these people and their 'business models' trying to dictate what I do and don't run on MY MACHINE is rediculous. It's exactly the same reason the concept of 'thin clients' has failed thus far.

And, over on the other forum, the chief thug is busy closing threads at a phenomenal rate. No such thing as an 'open discussion' over there. You can go on and on about RoF being the greatest thing since sliced bread, but don't even think about having an opinion to contrary.

I'm really very sorry that it's come to this, as I was one of the biggest pro-RoF supporters prior to it's launch. But this whole experience - the RoF official forum, 777 Studios, NeoQB, and SimHQ...this all just says "loser' to me. Of course, that's just my opinion which, thankfully - at least here - I'm still allowed to have :)

You're not the only one who thinks the 'forced' updates are problematic. And it was touted as a 'feature' - a big reason the online requirement was 'necessary'.

Well, like many, I don't want to be forced into updates. Like it or not, these people and their 'business models' trying to dictate what I do and don't run on MY MACHINE is rediculous. It's exactly the same reason the concept of 'thin clients' has failed thus far.

And, over on the other forum, the chief thug is busy closing threads at a phenomenal rate. No such thing as an 'open discussion' over there. You can go on and on about RoF being the greatest thing since sliced bread, but don't even think about having an opinion to contrary.

I'm really very sorry that it's come to this, as I was one of the biggest pro-RoF supporters prior to it's launch. But this whole experience - the RoF official forum, 777 Studios, NeoQB, and SimHQ...this all just says "loser' to me. Of course, that's just my opinion which, thankfully - at least here - I'm still allowed to have :)

Agreed Tamper can't say I don't feel sorry for some of these guys though, they really believed with all their heart RoF would be the next big evolution of flight sim's. While RoF is revolutionary in some aspects it has failed so far to become evolutionary, some bad decision's along the way and patches that fix one thing (or tone it down) only creep right back in with the next newest patch, kind of like a dog chasing it's tail. With no improvement in RoF's features (like season's a SP campaign and a more active battlefield) because of the dog chasing his tail sydrome. While they maybe squelching the discontent at the other site it's heating up at the RoF forums, some very peeved people over there concering the latest patch and the return of the one shot one kill AI.

I for one like the new ai. They now fly more realistic when attacking or being attacked. The problem as I see it is their remarkable skills as snipers. This has forced me to radically change my tactics when meeting an ai foe head on. When the enemy is around 100-150 meters from me I push the stick forward in a steep dive, then performing a half loop. I almost always end up at the tail of my opponent. Neoqb however, needs to recalibrate the gunnery skills of the ai in order to make them more "human like". Other than that I think the sim is coming along quite well considering how long it has been on the market.

"The problem as I see it is their remarkable skills as snipers."

I think that was the point of the original post!

"Other than that I think the sim is coming along quite well considering how long it has been on the market."

Having read the most recent threads over at SimHQ, the general opinion seemed to be that the Dolphin and Pflaz XII were welcome additions, but that large problem areas (SP, MP, DF, etc) remained unaddressed.

Having read the most recent threads over at SimHQ, the general opinion seemed to be that the Dolphin and Pflaz XII were welcome additions, but that large problem areas (SP, MP, DF, etc) remained unaddressed.

Yes, that's pretty much the state of things with RoF after the latest patch. Believe it or not, many of the 'fixes' listed for the patch were simple typos (swear to God). Of course, anyone dare mention this over at CensorHQ and there's a litany of reasons dispatched as to why it has to be this way: We're not patient enough, buy more planes, the people who do typos are not the same as those supposedly fixing the major flaws, etc.

And, of course, if one persists in asking why it's such a mess, well, along come the 'threadlockers'. Mind you, nothing need be said that's against forum rules, insulting or inflammatory...it's basically come down to you're either a member of the "Everything's Glowing with RoF" group, or you will be censored/banned/whatever. Even the mods have, on more than one occasion, engaged in childish name-calling, insults and redicule. One staff member comes along saying the forum won't tolerate such behavior, followed immediately by another staff member flinging insults simply because he doesn't agree with people. Call someone a fanboy, you're admonished. A Mod calls someone a 'troll', and not a peep.

That site, and NeoQB's own hijinks, will ultimately spell the demise of RoF, I believe - which, although probably well-deserved by all the prominant parties, would be such a shame and a loss of tremendous potential.

I for one like the new ai. They now fly more realistic when attacking or being attacked. The problem as I see it is their remarkable skills as snipers. This has forced me to radically change my tactics when meeting an ai foe head on. When the enemy is around 100-150 meters from me I push the stick forward in a steep dive, then performing a half loop. I almost always end up at the tail of my opponent. Neoqb however, needs to recalibrate the gunnery skills of the ai in order to make them more "human like". Other than that I think the sim is coming along quite well considering how long it has been on the market.

Very true TH, the AI is marketly better in use of flying/engagement tactics then prevoius patches but again there still are some problems. I was flying RR in a SPAD XIII and got my biggest suprise when I came up against the 2 seaters. I swear to God these AI pilots thought they were in single seat scouts! Most unrealistic, and I don't understand why they changed the 2 seater AI, the 2 seaters were just fine in the previous patch (a little bump in aggressivence would have been okay), but this a prime example of what I mean by the "dog chasing his tail" syndrome. They (neoqb) fix or improve something in the newest patch but also manage to unfix something or degrade what they just fix in the previous patch.

Neoqb need's to stop running around putting out this little fire and that little fire, pull everyone in and take the next couple of months and get the basic's of this sim straightened out once and for all, then move on from there. I agree with Tamper statement that most of the fixes in this latest patch dealt mostly with grammarical errors, while I have seen more serious game issues like T-800 targeting and hyperactive joystick inputs for some users of various joysticks just to name a few get the "yeah they know about it but it's pretty low on the "to do" list", but typo's and grammar errors are more important? WOW!

Tamper I understand what your saying about the other site, I don't post in that sub forum but do filter through it to see if I can pick up on some help or insights that might help my RoF gameplay. Negative post and sticking to your convictions about RoF's problems is not good for mental health in that peticular forum.

Hi Tamper,

You have my sympathy. I've been to various forums, and I have to say that it's only the SimHQ one that demonstrates such waspish responses to complaints about ROF, and I've had a look at the European distributor's forum plus the quite amusing 'Something Awful' forum. To be frank, I do detect a certain amount of wilful blindness and defensiveness about ROF at SimHQ, which is a terrible shame, because the people complaining about the problems are absolutely right: if there are serious areas that are porked, then it does no-one any good to pretend that all is well.

I frankly find it a little puzzling. Here's a sim with stellar potential which desperately needs major fixes to keep at least one set of players (MPers, in all likelihood) happy and singing its praises. From what I can see, it currently pleases no major group of players, except those that enjoy a challenging flight sim with superficial lasting appeal. What I find even more bizarre is the reaction that if you find fault with ROF you're somehow not a proper simmer! Given that the general idea of a game is to sell oodles of copies, do the more vociferous proponents of ROF imagine that a difficult to fly sim is going to appeal to a mass market? Read the Something Awful forums and decide for yourself. My impression was that they'd give some of the SimHQ proponents a hearty 'f*** off!'; certainly many had tried it and found it user-unfriendly.

I find myself wondering just who ROF is meant to appeal to in its present format. Pure flight simmers (how many are there of those?) love it - it's like a plane. Combat simmers like it, but many have severe issues with the sensitivity of controls, laser gunnery and whole bunch of issues besides. People into immersive games think it's superficial. The simply interested, but who don't have that burning desire to spend money supporting NeoQB appear to think that it's simply too difficult to master - and that's without comment on the long term playability of the game.

Well, I'm sure elements of this will get quoted over on SimHQ and I'll be branded a "hater" or whatever other infantile appellation can be attached to someone not toeing the SimHQ/NeoQB line. Still, that's my take - perhaps I'm exceptionally odd, but I really don't see how ROF can survive simply by trotting out new planes without fixing the core problems.

Edited by themightysrc