Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Fighters engaged

heat.gif Took up 23 Sgn FE2Bs for a normal Bombing run. Didnt get to the enemy side of the lines when My flight of 4 got jumped. We were at 4000ft and they fell like rain from above 3 Fokker E-3s. 1st Time I ever got hit by fighters yess.gif when flying a two seater . They fired as they came down then turned in a have circle and fired as they passed ( a Hafe hearted gun run) They fired 2 or 3 bursts at the most then they were off to whatever ? I took 7 hits during the second pass. so had to put the plane down at the 1st airfield. O ne of the gunners got 2 hits on an E-3 but that was about all.rofl.gif

heat.gif Took up 23 Sgn FE2Bs for a normal Bombing run.

Why in the world would you ever fly the Fee as a bomber? It's a fighter. You should be out hunting down and destroying the Eindeckers, then transition to hunting and destroying Halberstadts and Albatri. Maneuver to get the front gun on target and you'll be fine (sometimes). And get your wingmen to Lufbery Circle around you while you're doing ACM.

Hello,

Why in the world would you ever fly the Fee as a bomber? It's a fighter. You should be out hunting down and destroying the Eindeckers, then transition to hunting and destroying Halberstadts and Albatri. Maneuver to get the front gun on target and you'll be fine (sometimes). And get your wingmen to Lufbery Circle around you while you're doing ACM.

In the time of the Fe2b, and the Eindecker E.III, most aerial combat strategies were not yet developed, and pilots were reluctant in using their plane as a "fighter". I think with the "Fee" the front gun was not even fixed, but on a swivel. It IS fixed in OFF ..

And lots of pilots thought their plane would fall apart in anything worse than "mild" manouevering ... only Geo Chavez and Adolphe Pégoud had tried their planes out, and taken them to extremes - be it intentonally or not - and survived that, in Chavez' case only for a few minutes.

This reluctance certainly does not apply to our sim ahem bye.gif

Greetings,

Catfish