Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

No CFS3-CD hack & wmp.dll error (!)

Hello all, posted this at another forum but no reply so trying here.

While I own a bona fide retail version of CFS3 (swear on my Mother's grave), I rather foolishly tried the no-CD.exe hack file in order to save wear and tear on my DVD drive and resulted in buggering-up a Win7 system file. I know, I know...

Now I get a non-initialization error wmp.dll cannot be found. No fun in sim-land.

I've googled the issue, it is related to that bloatware Windows Media Player, and there seems to be no solid answer. Re-install CFS3 and OFF has not helped, nor system update. And oh! When I went to try system restore NONE OF MY 3 EARLIER RESTORE POINTS WERE THERE!!!! They just weren't there and I know I made them prior to the error.

Has anyone encountered and overcome this error or have some good advice? I am trying to avoid a complete OS reinstall since I just got the system in a sweet-spot (other than this issue!), but failed to clone the complete drive to backup. I was going to do it over the holidays. Go figure...

Many thanks if you took the time to read this.

going to assume you mean when you start off,,you get that error

which is pretty strange, cause i dont think you have to have media player installed to run off......

but if your sure its related to media player, you could try to reinstall media player....

or if you have your w7 install disk, you may want to open a command promt and type in sfc /scannow.

this will rebuild any corrupt files in your windows install...

S_D, thank you, I'll give that repair command prompt a try.

Yes, it is freaking bizarre because I can still run CFS3 no problems, and am currently using the no-CD file with ETO. It only happens with OFF, and I did a complete reinstall of it, so I am stumped.

uncleal, as mentioned am not being naughty, I HAVE a legal copy. I recently had to replace my failing DVD drive and am limited in the replacement hardware I can use. But I'm sure you're being facetious. :salute:

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I own 100% legal software, and use NoCD and NoDVD apps for all my games! (I love my games, and swapping CD's/DVD's constantly is a pain in the ass!)

Yes, i know that is illegal in itself, but I dont care

uncleal, as mentioned am not being naughty, I HAVE a legal copy. I recently had to replace my failing DVD drive and am limited in the replacement hardware I can use. But I'm sure you're being facetious. :salute:

You're not being "naughty", just practical. There are several freeware programs that will setup a virtual cd/dvd. Copy disc2 and mount the iso.

Now MS is being NAUGHTY to tell us that their Microsoft Security Essentials "protects" from ^%%$^$. And pigs fly.

plug_nickel (Al)

You're not being "naughty", just practical. There are several freeware programs that will setup a virtual cd/dvd. Copy disc2 and mount the iso.

Now MS is being NAUGHTY to tell us that their Microsoft Security Essentials "protects" from ^%%$^$. And pigs fly.

plug_nickel (Al)

Al,

I've tried several freeware and payware programs to create a CFS3 ISO for BHaH, but am unable to do so thanks to Microsoft's copy protection. All I get is "unrecoverable read error" messages. Mounting ISOs is convenient...use them a lot to save time loading terrain files with older flight sims.

Thanks for support fellows,

The 'sfc /scannow' command found nothing, though it seems a powerful tool so thank you for enlightening me to its existence. I also replaced the wmp.dll file from another win7 install (my brother's) and still get this error from the OFF Manager below. I will try a win7 'Repair Install' next and report. It is a shame this happened before I 'Caspered' the OS install as I just got my system and sims tweaked nicely.

Since it is specific to the OFF Manager, I sure wish one of the Devs might provide some insight to the error link to wmp.

Errorwpm-dll.jpg

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I own a 100% legal CFS3 but fopr OFF I am useing a no-cd fix..

I have had no problems what so ever..

except my last one what was due to a driver update.. A simple re configure and re application of the patch to fox corrupred ac fixed this.

As for your problem.

TRY THIS

hope it helps..

and definatly a shot in the dark, but go into cfs3config,,,and turn off all your intro videos...movie ui's etc...

Al,

I've tried several freeware and payware programs to create a CFS3 ISO for BHaH, but am unable to do so thanks to Microsoft's copy protection. All I get is "unrecoverable read error" messages. Mounting ISOs is convenient...use them a lot to save time loading terrain files with older flight sims.

I misspoke about freeware programs being available to "circumvent" copy protection. I was using much older file information I had stored from years long ago.

You'll have to use payware apps and I.D. the type of C.P. the disc employs. Those programs are LEGALLY available. I use such and for the following reason: to protect my investment for which I legally paid for. The wear and tear and possible damage resulting from the continual handling of cd/dvd is just to great and is not acceptable.

I run CFS3 from file combined from both discs. When I want to play CFS3, I simply mount my D2 ISO in the V-CD/DVD drive and then start CFS3 from my desktop shortcut. No muss, no fuss, no possible damage and I'm not circumventing anything but the physical handling of the disc. If I don't mount CFS3 Disc2 ISO the game will not run, period.

I installed BHaH/HiTR the same and unless CFS3 Disc2 ISO is not preloaded in the V-CD/DVD drive, BhaH/HiTR will not run either.

I hope this doesn't open up a "can of worms". That wasn't the intent. I don't use "no-cd cracks"; I don't want to use any .exe hacked file that some unknown has coded. If any game needs cd/dvd to start, then I mount an ISO image of the required disc or I don't play it.

Please feel free to delete this post if needs be.

My 5 cents worth.

plug_nickel (Al)

Edited by almccoyjr

and definatly a shot in the dark, but go into cfs3config,,,and turn off all your intro videos...movie ui's etc...

You know what? My config had been zapped, so I reset no movies etc. but didn't help...

I did google the error when it happened a few days ago and found the site mentioned above and tried the manual registration of the dll and it reported success, but sadly didn't help... Also I'm running win7 so XP advice is slightly different, but helped point me in directions I hadn't thought of. This error is insidious (as per other reports) and may in fact not be directly related to Win Media Player, but you got to start somewhere.

Going to try the Win7 Startup Repair tool! On new territory here, but what the hell :this:

AND to the last poster with the unintelligible online handle, I wouldn't worry about what you wrote, most of us agree with you whole-heartedly. My CFS3 purchase was less than $10 with free shipping, a new DVD drive --would have-- cost me into the hundreds but was still under extended warranty and even though I installed it DIY...

EDIT: Nope, Win7 Startup Repair tool found Nadda. I'm figuring this'll take a fresh OS re-install. I will however try one last dump/re-install of BHAH (just because I like banging my head against the wall and such :suicide: )

Edited by B Bandy RFC

make sure u delete the folders for off that reside in documents and settings if u do a reinstall

if u need complete path,,,just search documents and settings for cfsww1 over flanders fields

THIS F*%&^%$ing PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!

Was in Control Panel/Uninstall Programs in Win7 to trash my OFF when I happened to look to the left and saw a side panel selection, "Turn Windows features on or off". I am a curious fellow and always on the look out to find easier ways to turn unnecessary win-bloat off, and since 7 is new to me... or maybe I was just delaying the PITA of uninstall/re-installing OFF since I had no faith that it would help with the wmp.dll error...

ANYWAYS, I saw an entry for Media Features, clicked the '+' and saw Windows Media Player was not checked. So I checked it and thought, "No, can't be THAT simple", but it was. OFF now runs. Go figure. Using that no-cd file zapped something, that seemed obvious, but maybe I simply needed to check this box? I do not know, maybe never will.

My final question though is how is Windows Media Player tied into OFF??? :tease:

EDIT: And oh, thank you to everyone who was trying to help. I suppose we've all been there before.

wmp-dllsoln.jpg

Edited by B Bandy RFC