Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Collings Foundation B-24 And B-17

These two great old warbirds were on their way to El Cajons' Gillespie Field for its annual "Wings over Gillespie" airshow when they made a short two day stop in my hometown of Ramona, a few miles from Gillespie.

high-B-24rivers.jpg

high-b-17banking.jpg

I didnt have the $400 nessesary to go for a ride, but did take the walkthru on the B-24. Got beaucoup pics of the inside and will post some of them once they are finished by the developers. The cockpit was cordoned off but asked the pilot who was outside if he minded if I took some cockpit shots, he said no problem. While there getting some great shots, noticed the bombadiers station forward and below from me. Decided if I was in for a dime, might as well be in for a dollar, soooo, found the crawlway, snuck thru and into the station, and got some very nice shots of the Norden Bombsite and surrounding station. On my leaving the station, as I turned around to crawl back out, noticed the pilot outside with an eyebrow raised looking at me...grinned and blew him a kiss, hehe... ;)

Didnt tour the inside of the B-17 as it was late arriving and I had to go to work...shoulda called in sick...cough...cough. But I did get a LOT of outside shots shortly after it arrived. All was very cool, loved seeing these old warbirds. The Collings Foundation has done an outstanding job keeping these birds in flyable condition. Check out their website when ya get a chance and look at all the birds they have, including an A-36 Apache (!) and an F-4 Phantom!

Wow... I would love to own/fly a B-17. It's such a beautiful bird. Hope you had fun!

Years ago I went in a B-17. What a plane. You can really what how the live in that plane. Where it was? I thought near by Chino or something. You must pay a dollar at a few veterans of WW2. Some told us that they flew over The Netherlands to bomb Nazi-Germany (not the Germany of now, that is much better).

Oh yeah, what a beautifull B-24, on the picture.

Salute

Dutchy