Sign in to follow this  
jxeboy

OT Semester Abroad

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me some places to visit when I study abroad this next semester. I am going to Salzburg Austria, and I know there are probably lots of interesting things to see/do there. I went in highschool briefly, but didn't see much more than some historical buildings. I am only an hour from Munich and travel doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. Anything WWI or just aviation in general would be cool to see.

I should be there until the beginning of june, and I leave thursday!

Thanks for the help!

~Jake

The beerkellars! (I'm sorry Jake, just being a smart arse).

I don't know Austria at all, but the great thing about being abroad is that it's ALL new, everything, and wherever you go there's always something different to see. It's a personal thing, but get the touristy stuff out the way quickly and throw away the guide book. Eat and drink where the locals eat and drink, and don't sit in the corner with your Ipod on.

It only gets scary when you can't read sign posts and there's no 'western' friendly translation.

See it all, do it all, and don't get into trouble. Respect your hosts, and even if you don't speak their language, do yourself a favour and learn one or two of the basics, language and culture.

I went to China and had one of the flight hostesses teach me, - hello, please, thank you, sorry, I don't understand... Only took 5 minutes, and (yes ok she was pretty). - She warned me Chinese people grin when they're embarrassed, which can throw you the wrong signals if you've just been charged the 'western' price for something.

I picked up a few more words when I got there, but man alive, Chinese is TOUGH to pick up. No regrets though. China doesn't get a massive number of westerners, and the reaction I got when I tried to speak chinese made it all worthwhile. It's a mark of respect for one thing, and on some occassions, it's maybe no bad thing for the locals to think you might be understanding more than you're letting on....grin.gif

Have a good time and don't forget to pack your sense of humour.

Edited by Flyby PC

Hello jxeboy,

if Munich's not too far there's certainly the German Museum ("Deutsches Museum"), a technical museum with tons of history and early aviation, complete planes, models, first german military submarine etc. etc.:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/

However the hangar housing the aircraft collection is a bit outside of Munich, in Schleissheim:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/flugwerft/information/

Then there's certainly the "Hofbraeuhaus" in Munich

http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/

LOL

however there are a lot of interesting things to see in Austria without going to Germany !

Greetings and have fun,

Catfish

My advice for going abroad picked up on plenty of trips is to keep an open mind be polite to your hosts learn to eat when they eat time wise learning a few phrases is great as well as to Austria I passed through there in September on my way to Italy by motorbike and I skirted past Salzburg on the way from Munich and the scenery is spectacular the GrossGlockener is the highest point in the Alp's yep I rode over the top... just a little aside I hope your not veggie as they didn't seem to be a lot on the menu where we had dinner in Zel um See beautiful place lakes mountains the whole shooting match but it is of the beaten track but there is a train station there and the train station parrellels the road for a lot of the way and that scenery is jaw dropping I know as 3 bikes nearly ended up missing a turn or 20...

But most of all approach it with an open mind... is the best advice.