Sign in to follow this  
ChampionsVA56

PAF AT-28D "Tora Tora" 1985

PAF AT-28D "Tora Tora" 1985

Another skin for the Skunkworks T-28D COIN which can be found in their Third Party section. The Philippine Air Force, battle tested in counter-insurgency operations selected the Nomad and received 60 in the 1970's as a light attack and COIN aircraft. It was assigned to the 17th Attack Squadron of the 15th Strike Wing based in Sangley Air Base in Cavite. They continued on to serve the PAF until they finally retired in late 1992.

I remember this plane. I was originaly from the Philippines and these were used by rebels to attack the presidential palance in a coup in 1989. I watched as F-5s were used agaist them in a dogfight over Manila.

A classic prop plane vs. jet combat. I believe nothing was shot down from the sky. F-5s can't hit the props with the guns (no missiles were brought) because they would overshoot the target. T-28 can't shoot back because the F-5s kept their distance. But the F-5s did get to destroy the T-28s once they landed.

Here's an article from wikipedia:

On December 1, 1989 three rebel T-28D Trojans (Tora-Toras) raked Malacañang Palace with rockets and gunfire,the rebel soldiers made a wrong assumption that they have control of the air through effective neutralization of 5th Fighter Wing Air assets. Rebel soldiers at Mactan successfully trapped most of the F-5s and combat ready pilots thus preventing them from interfering with the rebel's operations. While at Basa Air Base there were only three F-5A and one F-5B with partial mission capability. ACER Atienza the Squadron Commander of the 6th Fighter Squadron ordered his maintenance crew to work overtimein bringing the F-5s back to full operation. On the same day, three F-5s under the command of Atienza flew to challenge the rebel T-28s. It culminated with the destruction of the Tora-Toras on the ground at Sangley Point but at the cost of one F-5A (flown by Atienza, who died in one of the strafing runs). The elimination of the T-28s turned the tide against the rebels, for his heroism Atienza was posthumously awarded the Medal of Valor and in honor of his sacrifice the airfield at Sangley Point was named after him.
Edited by jomni