Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

A moving song about WW1

Ah, takes me back a while. In my morris-dancing and folk-singing days that song and 'And the Band played Waltzing Matilda' were two staples. But if you consider the songs sang by those who really lived through it, rather than those who were, like us, moved by the pathos, there was more satire than sentimentalism. One of the times I've felt 'closest' to those who really fought and died in WW1 was doing an amdram production of 'Oh, What A Lovely War'. It moved me and most of the rest of the cast more than those songs do... though I admit, as noted above, I'm over-exposed to the 'Willie MacBride' genre.

But, it occurs to me just now, now that we've lost our last veterans... isn't it time for a West End revival of OWALW?

Edited by Dej

Who wouldn't join the army?

That's what we all inquire.

Don't we pity the poor civilians sitting beside the fire.

WM, that is a moving song indeed, though I do prefer Eric Bogle's rendition to that of the Fureys. Like Dej, I have performed it myself on more than one occasion and for that reason I suppose it does not impact on me quite the same as it used to.