Sign in to follow this  
guyran

Kind of a game ladder for prop lovers

Everything is cool, just a small correction here, Spit quite certainly didn't have an edge in roll rate as she was one of the worst in that department among all ww2 planes while P-51's were among the best...

This is one of the reasons for the trimmed wings in the Israeli variant SpitfireIXe.

BTW

Try to lure the pack up to 20,000 feet. I think this can give some merit to the P-51 AI over the spits.

Everything is cool, just a small correction here, Spit quite certainly didn't have an edge in roll rate as she was one of the worst in that department among all ww2 planes while P-51's were among the best...

Excerpt from Fighter Aircraft by Alfred Price, who's citing a summary of comparison of the P-51B against the Spitfire IX conducted during WWII in Britain and the States.

"Rates of roll: Although the alierons feel light, the Mustang cannot roll as quickly as the Spitfire at normal speeds. The alierons stiffen up only slightly at high speeds and the rates of roll become the same at about 400 mph."

Since I'm no expert on the P-51, it could be that there was an improvement of with the P-51D, but given that the Spitfire XIV was said to have an even more significant advantage over P-51(B), I'm not really sure.

This is one of the reasons for the trimmed wings in the Israeli variant SpitfireIXe.

To be honest, I have the impression that TK assigned the Spit IXE with clipped wings to the IDF simply to make it easier to distinguish them from the Egyptian Spitfires, not to mention that not all Spitfire IXE had clipped wings. That was only the case with the Mk XII.

Btw, I have accepted a long time ago that the AI pilots simply don't care what they are flying or what they are going up against. Unlike a human pilot they simply can't know the "DO and DON'Ts" of the aircraft they are flying at that point.

Edited by Gocad

Excerpt from Fighter Aircraft by Alfred Price, who's citing a summary of comparison of the P-51B against the Spitfire IX conducted during WWII in Britain and the States.

"Rates of roll: Although the alierons feel light, the Mustang cannot roll as quickly as the Spitfire at normal speeds. The alierons stiffen up only slightly at high speeds and the rates of roll become the same at about 400 mph."

Since I'm no expert on the P-51, it could be that there was an improvement of with the P-51D, but given that the Spitfire XIV was said to have an even more significant advantage over P-51(B), I'm not really sure.

Quite strange I must say since roll rate and aileron stifness was one of the biggest issue for the spits since the begining of the design, they did make a change and put all metal ailerons on MkV that did improve things but after that the wings barely changed at all...

Anyway I only have a chart from RAAF testing:

gallery_3270_118_145175.jpg

In order to take the AI out of the equation, I've reduced the furball into one vs one dual.

One P-51D Mustang me, against one Ace SpitfireIXc.

Seems to me that the P-51 is not so helpless against the superior Spit.

Here is the 1x1 mission.

P-51D Mustang vs spit (1x1 Ace).rar