Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

Testing Out

What do you think guys? Is it any good?

I can't seem to find my old CaptSopwith signature with the airplane crashing into the ambulance, so I tried to spruce up the signature space with something appropriate. :declare:

I missed "Red Baron", and from what I hear about it, it must have been great.

But I also still have "Wings of Glory" (the cheap music!), and also "Dawn Patrol" and "Flying Corps Gold".

This is the signature of a sim pilot of the first hour, so to say - I like it.

I missed "Red Baron", and from what I hear about it, it must have been great.

But I also still have "Wings of Glory" (the cheap music!), and also "Dawn Patrol" and "Flying Corps Gold".

This is the signature of a sim pilot of the first hour, so to say - I like it.

Someone actually made MIDI files of the Wings of Glory soundtrack and uploaded it as a zip file. I can't remember the site I found it on, but it's out there! So were you playing Dawn Patrol and Flying Corps Gold in the 1990's?

Didn't get "Dawn Patrol" to run on my rig then, but yes, I played "Flying Corps" and "Wings of Glory" -

must have been in the mid-nineties, I think?

Want to hear the music again? Here it is:

Didn't get "Dawn Patrol" to run on my rig then, but yes, I played "Flying Corps" and "Wings of Glory" -

must have been in the mid-nineties, I think?

Want to hear the music again? Here it is:

Very nice!

This music still takes me back. Menu 3 was my favorite of the lot - which comes at the end of the clip. I still catch myself whistling it from time to time!

So many here played "Red Baron 3D" - a pity I missed that sim.

I was more into WW2 Spitfires and Messerschmidts those days, and "developed backwards". :cool:

So many here played "Red Baron 3D" - a pity I missed that sim.

I was more into WW2 Spitfires and Messerschmidts those days, and "developed backwards". :cool:

Red Baron II / 3D was the reason I wound up here. The long version, in case anyone is interested (not sure why lol) is this: I played the Wings of Glory demo on a PC Gamer CD (it came with the magazine in those days, not sure if they still do that). I immediately fell in love with the game and played the 1 demo mission some 600 times. I even taped myself playing it and provided commentary in a squeaky 13 year old voice - that old VHS is kicking around somewhere! My parents bought the full version for my birthday some months later.

The packaging on that game was amazing. Wings of Glory came with a big fat manual, a CD, and a giant (at least it seemed giant at the time) color poster of all of the aircraft on the Western Front in WWI. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Sadly, the game didn't work and the whole thing - poster and all - was returned to the store. I was crushed. WoG was a finicky little thing to run - and actually required more hard drive space than I had. I have the full game installed on my Windows 7 machine and even with the CD copied over, the thing takes up less disk space than the first 6 tracks of Sgt. Peppers! I can't believe we had so little space back then.

Anyway, my WWI flying hobby sat dormant for a few years - from 1995 till the fall of 1998. That September we bought a new Dell computer and a month later, I came across one remaining copy of Red Baron II in the PC game section of Wal-Mart (those were the days lol). I begged and pleaded with my parents to buy it (I think it was $30 or something like that) and I've joked with them that it was the best 30 bucks they ever spent. We got internet access in January 1999 and I found the Delphi forum not long after that.

Which is how I met OvS, Shred, Rabu, a guy named Rookie109 and Pat Wilson, among others. From there I started downloading patches - UOPs - and figuring out how Red Baron II's file system worked. In the summer of 2000 I worked some odd jobs and saved up enough money to buy a Voodoo 3000 card and the rest is history.

Sometime around 2006, James sent me a message (probably on his old Hell's Angels board) saying hey, there's this new project I'm working on called OFF, you really should take a look. I had such an attachment to the 'old gal' as we used to call RB, that it was hard to see myself moving to a new sim. But as OFF improved and I got a new computer, I hopped on board. I can't really remember how long I've been flying OFF - I guess that's what happens when you grow up and years of your life feel more like months instead of the other way around. I remember flying P2 not long after it came out.

Anyway, long story short. RB set me up with my obsession with WWI flight. It finished the work that WoG started. I'm a WWI and German historian now because I became obsessed with Red Baron II back then.

Like I said, it was the best 30 bucks my parents ever spent.

Cheers!

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Hihi, a wonderful story!

My "computer-crack" friend had found a way to gain more memory from "High mem sys" or something.

With that addition, I could fly "Aces over Europe".

But it often messed up the working with my plotter (I was a signwrite then), and the company guy who

had set up my computer for work, always found out.

"Your computer crack has been at it again, hasn't he? You must decide, if you wanna work or play!"

Well, I wanted to fly, and had to work.

Unbelieveable, that is we had so little space and memory back then.

Edited by Olham