Sign in to follow this  
LegTaste

Over the Top Maneuver

Hello, I'm new to falcon and have been going through the manual.

I'm having problems with this seemingly basic exercise, the manual explains horizontal turns in far more detail yet vertical appears to be much harder to master.

I have succeeded on multiple occasions but cant pin down what it was i did right, i lose far too much speed.

I would ask for specific directions but there's far too many variables for me to get my head around to create a sentence at the moment.

If anyone could give me some advice i would appreciate it.

Hello, I'm new to falcon and have been going through the manual.

I'm having problems with this seemingly basic exercise, the manual explains horizontal turns in far more detail yet vertical appears to be much harder to master.

I have succeeded on multiple occasions but cant pin down what it was i did right, i lose far too much speed.

I would ask for specific directions but there's far too many variables for me to get my head around to create a sentence at the moment.

If anyone could give me some advice i would appreciate it.

First ensure you start with excess energy-400kts or above if at a high fuel load(forget the whole "superfighters" mentality of better than 1:1 TW ratio-real ACM doesnt lock to isolated statistics of wing loading and TW but rather a comparison of your energy versus the bogeys at that moment and wher you want to be 5 steps from now.

So, to make it easy.

1) start with excess energy and horizontal(energy here is your speed>400kts

2) altitude should be in the fun ACM arena with thick air<17k feet

3) when entering and executing your loop, dont pull max angles and G at the beginning or throughout the manever-watch your G meter and dont exceed 5-6g, otherwise you will lose your energy too quickly and stall out.

On ACM

1) practice smooth inputs for gun tracking and big maneuver execution-this will save energy and increase your accuracy

2) practice snap maneuvers for evasion-this can spoil their aim and cause them to loose track of their constant airspeed compared to your loss and cause an over shoot-these should be quick snaps and change direction every 2-3 seconds, one hard pull on the stick usually will not spoil a skill attacker's advantage.

3) record all you practices with the gun cam and review your ACMI film-F4AF is unparralled in this regard and you can trace your entire flight path and speed, g, and AoA through the recording period. You'll see when you're pulling too hard and when youre too soft. youll see were your aircraft gets sluggish and were it builds energy. I was able to take the F-14B to an area of the envelope and easily following an ACe pilot(over internet) throughout the flight and out climb him. I just needed less than 10k of gas to be there. I'd recommend saving for a good flight controller and investing in one. theyre worth it.

Good luck.

Edited by turkeydriver