Stephen1918

Sopwith Triplane - WIP

All,

With gratitude for some previous FE modder help, especially @Stephen1918

I found a timely opportunity to attempt to repay some favors.  Real life has left little time for modding, but thought one way I could help was to crash over a few days and take a shot at enhancing the new Sopwith cockpit within my limits.  

A few comments:  all I’m trying to do is improve the user experience.   I recognize that others especially Geezer are true artists (and I wish him well hoping someday he will return).  In the meantime, I wanted to at least make a contribution that I hope others might enjoy.  I don’t know this genre, so this representation was based on research and photographs (and admittedly some creative licensing), but wherever practical I meticulously cropped, hand edited and applied photoreal and hopefully fairly authentic textures including the gauges.  Keep in mind this is purely a texture overhaul as I don't have access to anything else; but sure grateful Stephen included unwrap templates.  The model cockpit textures leverage 1024x1024; undoubtedly chosen to to sustain good FPS and it definitely should!  I mention that, because the size and some conservative UV unwraps means still some grainy/blurry areas and I think could be optimized further (not sure if there is willingness to do that and/or share the source .max file).  I’m not an .ini guy, but for sure leveraging these new gauges requires.ini updates.  I fully expect some things to be wrong or could be improved, and I’m happy to take suggestions.  Well, enjoy some of the “before and after” shots.  I thank Stephen for creating the model and for his previous support, hope this is helpful and that’s about it for now… 

AB_SopCP_CloseView.thumb.jpg.e244ca0647ae23eb49897b365b930571.jpg

SB_SopCP_CloseView_New.thumb.jpg.b72de1018868291e2ee6073f527674ef.jpg

AB_SopCP_WideView1.thumb.jpg.cf9403d7d6262ff65128ad9f5e3cf3f5.jpg

SB_SopCP_WideView_New.thumb.jpg.8227df8333c882dc4b513a2cd987a3d9.jpg

image.thumb.png.8c46e4d1991d600e6aff79e13919f2e6.png

• Like 4

Of course, would be happy to upload the new textures - should be able to finalize them this weekend!  Stephen, I didn't know if it would be better to just send them directly to you so another updated version could be created?  The reason why I mention that, is the cockpit.ini would need to be updated to coincide with the new texture gauges (rotation and values). 

20 hours ago, swambast said:

Of course, would be happy to upload the new textures - should be able to finalize them this weekend!  Stephen, I didn't know if it would be better to just send them directly to you so another updated version could be created?  The reason why I mention that, is the cockpit.ini would need to be updated to coincide with the new texture gauges (rotation and values). 

Swambast, I sent you a PM about this

• Like 1