Sign in to follow this  
ndp

Recommend a joystick

Hi, I have a Logitec force feedback and its driving me insane! Just bobs up & down & cant fly with the thing. Anyone recommend a good stick or how to fix this one?

ndp

You are asking a very loaded question ndp! People get very devoted to their setup and will often argue about the "best." I would say that the top 3 setups are the Saitek X45 or X52, anything CH, and the Thrustmaster Cougar.

I'm a CH fan - the gear is rugged, the company offers tremendous support, and the user base is incredible. I still have a working CH stick from 14 years ago.

However, it's all going to come down to - how much do you want to pay?

Buzz

Just to be sure that its the stick and not the game, be sure your either in a fly by wire aircraft, or that you have your aircraft trimmed propperly. Also make sure your totally patched up; as the "smooth" option slider in 1.1 is broken on the axis, it is corrected in 1.12a available here.

Official Flaming Cliffs DL Page

I have to agree with Buzz, flight sticks are generally somthing of a personal preference... personally I started with CH products but found I was replacing them every year or so due to normal wear and tear... then again I try to put in a couple dozen hours a week on the sticks. Since then I have moved over to a Saitek X45, although the X52 looks like a nice second choice it dosn't offer (me) the same feel that the 45 does; as the 45 can have the spring set pretty tight and the 52 "felt" a little cheap. The STT programming software for the x45 works fairly well opening up quite abit of compatibility to alot of titles, plus mode selections exc exc... offering alot of keyboard functionality to the stick. I.E. for lomac I have an air to air mode, air to ground mode, and Air def/Nav mode which changes most every key bind on the stick with a flick of a toggle. Product support is not quite as good as the CH stuff, for example, to do a lomac setup you either have to hunt for a file, borrow one from someone here, or create your own (expect to take 2 hours to do this). There is some incompatibility with some titles that usually has to be patched out; due to the way its setup on the USB (dont want to go into it) but you see this on games like "planetside". As far as CH goes I am interested in picking up some of there rudder pedels before the end of the year. I think most will agree though that CH and Saitek both put out quality products, its a matter of options and what "feels" right to you, I would suggest a trip to Frys or Bestbuy and put your hands on some before you order/buy anything.

Just to be sure that its the stick and not the game, be sure your either in a fly by wire aircraft, or that you have your aircraft trimmed propperly. Also make sure your totally patched up; as the "smooth" option slider in 1.1 is broken on the axis, it is corrected in 1.12a available here.

Official Flaming Cliffs DL Page

I have to agree with Buzz, flight sticks are generally somthing of a personal preference... personally I started with CH products but found I was replacing them every year or so due to normal wear and tear... then again I try to put in a couple dozen hours a week on the sticks. Since then I have moved over to a Saitek X45, although the X52 looks like a nice second choice it dosn't offer (me) the same feel that the 45 does; as the 45 can have the spring set pretty tight and the 52 "felt" a little cheap. The STT programming software for the x45 works fairly well opening up quite abit of compatibility to alot of titles, plus mode selections exc exc... offering alot of keyboard functionality to the stick. I.E. for lomac I have an air to air mode, air to ground mode, and Air def/Nav mode which changes most every key bind on the stick with a flick of a toggle. Product support is not quite as good as the CH stuff, for example, to do a lomac setup you either have to hunt for a file, borrow one from someone here, or create your own (expect to take 2 hours to do this). There is some incompatibility with some titles that usually has to be patched out; due to the way its setup on the USB (dont want to go into it) but you see this on games like "planetside". As far as CH goes I am interested in picking up some of there rudder pedels before the end of the year. I think most will agree though that CH and Saitek both put out quality products, its a matter of options and what "feels" right to you, I would suggest a trip to Frys or Bestbuy and put your hands on some before you order/buy anything.

Saitek cyborge evo i love it!

i dont think you can go wrong with anything saitek i love their crap

Edited by eradicator

I guess it kind of depends on what you want. I've never tried out any CH products, so I can't really comment on them besides the fact that they're much more expensive than your average joystick. I personally use a Saitek X52 (A company I never used products from till a few days ago, actually), and it's working out great. If you're looking for a HOTAS setup, you can find dozens of them from Saitek, CH Products, Thrustmaster, etc. If you want a basic joystick, Microsoft has served me well. *ducks before someone throws the comment back in my face*

So, like everyone has said, it comes down to personal preferance and what you want.