Sign in to follow this  
Old Guy

Gun data mods?

Has anyone considered fooling with various gundata settings in order to enhance gameplay by making the guns less lethal?

We did quite a bit of that in EAW and I understand it was done in IL-2 as well.

In particular, I'm wondering if reducing muzzle velocity and/or bullet weight would be a good idea.

The other possibility is the setting called Accuracy. For most machine guns it's set to 70%. If this is the chance of making a hit, 70% is far too high. If it's some sort of dispersion measure, I have no idea how accurate it is.

It seems to me that fiddling with gundata will be quicker and easier than fine-tuning armor settings. But that's just a feeling at the moment.

Thoughts? Comments? I might start experimenting with this stuff next week, unless someone can tell me a good reason not to.

:tomato2:

jim

i haven't noticed any real difference for the player by reducing or increasing the accuracy entrys

tho very ironically reducing the accuracy to even as low as 10 percent...does actualy improve the AI's hit rate....as they are such bad shots to start with that making the guns innacurate actualy improves their chances of hitting something...(by accidently firing in the right direction every now and then lol)

rate of fire round per minute etc does have an effect on the player tho..but it allso affects the AI again and it can become a bit of a catch 22...make the guns weaker and the AI has even less chance to shoot you down...

I thought of that same catch 22. Oddly enough rear gunners seem to have no trouble hitting me. There are several grave markers out there to prove it.

I wonder why they work so well and the other AI are such stooges?

We probably shouldn't fiddle with the guns too much right now. Although, those damned AAA gunners could stand a little adjustment!

Jim

has to be the fact that the rear gunner can rotate their guns... :good:

i did decrease the sccuracy for the AAA guns in the gun data ini in the AIMOD thread (and in downloads here for the original version) that does seem to take the edge of them at least....

tell you what tho i just did a uniinstall and re-install to get a fresh plate to look at the stock game ...

and :crazy::pilot: the AI is better as stock IMO than it is with all my changes LOL!!!

even saw a DVII do a loop...so all this editing of files stuff might be changing but not improving neccesarily??

all i used was the experience mod to get the AI pilots skill rates up a bit nothing else...

i really think thats the key to all this in the end...those AI pilot stats get them up higher than normal and things should start to play better...in theory

i can't find them anywhere tho...(other than the maxed out experience rating in the wwicamp1_data.ini)

there's no file that gives you access to the way the stats are distributed to the pilots (i'm sure it must be randomly assigned etc)

dang these games it's ALLWAYS the AI that lets them down every time..drives me mad..forget new graphic engines next gen effects et al...time for some next gen AI i reckon looong overdue

Guest IndioBlack
dang these games it's ALLWAYS the AI that lets them down every time..drives me mad..forget new graphic engines next gen effects et al...time for some next gen AI i reckon looong overdue

That is so true. For me, it is the single most disappointing thing about these games.

And you can't argue that the AI is dumbed down to make it more accessible to Sim-Liters, because you can choose to fly against enemies that are easy, normal or hard.

Has anyone been able to quantify the differences between easy and hard enemies ?

That is so true. For me, it is the single most disappointing thing about these games.

And you can't argue that the AI is dumbed down to make it more accessible to Sim-Liters, because you can choose to fly against enemies that are easy, normal or hard.

Has anyone been able to quantify the differences between easy and hard enemies ?

it's amazing really given the investment in games and gaming generaly by the industry at large that nothing concrete has been done to improve AI at all...it doesn't matter wether it's PC monopoly, Quake..a flight sim or a shoot em up..dud AI results in a dud game...sooner or later folks lose interest.. the trouble with a WW1 combat flight sim is that the AI has got nowhere to hide...with more modern era sims they can rely on the use of longer range weapons and the better maneuverability given by the modelling of high top speeds etc etc..but with old kites like these it is ALL down to the AI pilots skills..which conversely is exactly why we all like this era of flight sim so much...seat of the pants all the way...

even tho i'm complaining (and i AM complaining!!!) it has to said the FE AI is not that bad and is easily the best i've tried in a WW1 combat flight sim...but a few focused additions would have made all the difference...

1) an automatic and severe evasive maneuver when enemy aircraft is detected directly behind

governed by range

pilot experience novice expert ace etc..

2) same thing again at the first bullet strike on the aircraft...

3)automatic "get the heck out of here" action when damaged beyond a set point (editable in a file perhaps)

full throttle climb towards home (if the previous two actions haven't shaken the enemy)

4)as a rough cheat (if you like) for the AI-- a "zone" behind aircraft that "attracts" enemy fighters (exploited the same way that car racing games have a "catch up" cheat for the ai) again size of the zone editable in a small file

just these (i'm assuming?) fairly old school AI tricks

would create a far greater sense of purpose to the game..none of it i'm guessing requiring "next gen" game engines...AFAIK

the rest can be taken care of with damage/armour/weapon edits..

this way at least the player gets a challenge and the AI trys it's damdest to get kills and avoid being killed...giving the game a real sense of purpose

anyhuw...

he he!! :crazy:

i can't say i've noticed any huge differnce in the AI when set on easy or hard...

still reckon FE is the best WW1 sim available at the moment..(tho Red baron has the crown long term)