Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Scotty's return to space

Scotty - Doohan's Launched into SPACE Successful!

The ashes of actor James Doohan, who played Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott "Scotty" on Star Trek were rocketed into space on Saturday, April 27.

It was the first successful launch from Spaceport America, a commercial spaceport being developed in the southern New Mexico desert. Also included in the space launch were the cremated remains of Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper.

Wende Doohan, the actor's wife, and Suzan Cooper fired the rocket carrying small amounts of their husbands' ashes, and those of about 200 others, around 9:00 a.m.

Since it was a suborbital flight, the rocket soon parachuted back to Earth, coming down at the White Sands Missile Range.

Family members paid $495 to place a few grams of their relatives' ashes on the rocket. Celestis, a Houston company, contracted with UP to send the cremated remains into space.

About 4 miles away from the launch site, family and friends cheered as they watched the 20-foot rocket take off.

Doohan wanted his ashes sent into space after he saw the remains of Gene Roddenberry, who created Star Trek, were launched in 1997.

Doohan died in July 2005 at age 85.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news423576.html

I saw him at a convention right before filming of Generations was about to begin. It was funny in that he said how much he hated Shatner, then he winds up being in the film with him and having the most to do with him on screen!

He reminded me of my grandfather (who'd passed away only a year or so earlier) in many ways. He went along with this silly ST quote thing they did where he'd read a line as Scotty and people would raise their hands to guess where he'd said it. :grin: I think it was right after he'd been on TNG, actually.

I'm glad I got to see him that once.

I saw him at Trekcon in Roanoke..he took alot of time to sign some stuff for me.Really a fun person to talk to.I had run into him earlier at the IHOP across the street form the civic center and he was nice enough to talk to me..we didn't even talk Trek to much,mostly fishing around here.

Being and Engineer working on todays modern aircraft, I will never forget when Scotty was rescued by NCC 1701D...some episode about a Dyson's Sphere I believe. Scotty made the comment to Gordi that I will never forget....

"You never tell the captain how long it will take." Basically this is the formula keeping him happy....I use it every day...hehe

Being and Engineer working on todays modern aircraft, I will never forget when Scotty was rescued by NCC 1701D...some episode about a Dyson's Sphere I believe. Scotty made the comment to Gordi that I will never forget....

"You never tell the captain how long it will take." Basically this is the formula keeping him happy....I use it every day...hehe

That was the "relic"episode.Can you name his ship?

That was the "relic"episode.Can you name his ship?

USS Jenolan? Something like that.

FastCargo

anybody else care to make a guess?will answer the question later. :victory:

USS Jenolan? Something like that.

FastCargo

well nobody else has a guess so you are correct.well done.you know your TNG.

Well maybe if you'd waited more than just 4 hrs someone else would've come by and answered! :tomato:

Anyone hear that Scotty didn't like space at all and came back?

Guest Tazkiller
Anyone hear that Scotty didn't like space at all and came back?

That's Sick, Stupid , and Un-called for!!!!!!!!!

They found the crash site:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - They beamed him up -- and on Friday, after a three-week search, they found the rocket that had carried ashes of "Star Trek" actor

James Doohan briefly into space.

The remains of Doohan, whose "Star Trek" character Scotty inspired the television catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," were blasted off to the edge of space from New Mexico on April 29, two years after his death at the age of 85.

The payload also included ashes of astronaut Gordon Cooper, who first went into space in 1963, and another 200 people.

But the UP Aerospace Spaceloft XL rocket carrying the capsules with the ashes back to Earth got lost in rugged terrain and the search for it was hampered by bad weather.

"Now we can all say 'mission accomplished,"' Rick Homans, executive director of New Mexico's Spaceport Authority, said on Friday.

Organizers said the rocket and the individual capsules containing the ashes were in good condition and would be mounted on plaques and returned to the families.

Canadian-born Doohan played the starship Enterprise's chief engineer Montgomery Scott in the original 1966-1969 "Star Trek" television series.

Houston-based Space Services Inc. Space Services Inc. charges $495 to send a portion of a person's ashes into suborbital space and return it to Earth.