Sign in to follow this  
cj95

Stock Aircraft on Ice......

Howdy from Texas........

Just a quick question on the differences between the stock aircraft and add-on flight models.

By in large the Stock planes are quite difficult to control as they tend to slip all over the place at the slightest touch of the controls and lacking any real ability to fine tune or aim accurately

(at least for my ham fists)

The add on aircraft are a godsend, because they tend to to only go where you point them, and not oscillate wildly at the slightest touch of the stick.

Any solution to the twitchyness?, or is that more realistic?

Thanks

Howdy from Texas........

Just a quick question on the differences between the stock aircraft and add-on flight models.

By in large the Stock planes are quite difficult to control as they tend to slip all over the place at the slightest touch of the controls and lacking any real ability to fine tune or aim accurately

(at least for my ham fists)

The add on aircraft are a godsend, because they tend to to only go where you point them, and not oscillate wildly at the slightest touch of the stick.

Any solution to the twitchyness?, or is that more realistic?

Thanks

You're flyin tha F-100 and F-4, huh? :biggrin:

I'm here ta tell you that you are not experiencing "a/c on ice" or any major defect. What you are going through is an extremely accurate representation of flight dynamics involving swept wings, especially low swept wings with high chords. What happens is, you're movin at a pretty good clip, and your wings have sufficient lift to fly. However, when you enter a hard maneuver, your wings aren't straight wings, so they will stall much more easily, especially at high angles of attack. When this happens, it will create oscillations to the effect of a stall condtion known as "Adverse Yaw". This means airflow dies on the high side of the wing, causing to roll the opposite way automatically in order to gain more lift. The best thing to do is to not pull so hard in turns, but rather stay around your corner speed, pull in a way that keeps your speed up (The Super Sabre's is about 400kts). Another way to counter this effect is to use your rudder accordingly in turns, especially lower-speed ones. Beware, though, using too much rudder can also bleed energy, thus causing you to stall anyway =\ (This is especially important when flying the F-4). Also, make wiser use of your afterburner. Don't use it at high angles of attack at lower speeds, as you are only doing more to decrease your inertia by fighting against gravity. Use it in shallow maneuvers, and if you MUST use it at high angles of attack, use it at HIGHER SPEEDS ONLY!!!

So, next time you fly, keep these points in mind.....you'll be proficient at Strike Figthers in no time :wink:

Ummmm.....no.

Im flying the stock SPAD and SE.5 biplanes in First Eagles..............hence the forum title. :biggrin:

Very good advice nonetheless for when I am flying Strike Fighters though.

Im just talking about the huge differences in controllability from stock to add on biplanes.

Ummmm.....no.

Im flying the stock SPAD and SE.5 biplanes in First Eagles..............hence the forum title. :biggrin:

Very good advice nonetheless for when I am flying Strike Fighters though.

Im just talking about the huge differences in controllability from stock to add on biplanes.

AHHHHHHH (dee dee-deeeee :crazy: )

yaaaah, um..... go into the options menu and look at the controls section. lower the sensitivity to 0 (trust me) as well as the deadzone. See if that don't work for ya :biggrin:

AHHHHHHH (dee dee-deeeee :crazy: )

yaaaah, um..... go into the options menu and look at the controls section. lower the sensitivity to 0 (trust me) as well as the deadzone. See if that don't work for ya :biggrin:

Seems to have don the trick so far.

Many thanks......

Hi cj, the add-on planes are done by different people and done differently from one another too - some are similar to stock ones, some are not. The reason I say this is to ask you which add-on planes work well for you, which stock don't (just one or two of each)? I suspect I know why you have these issues, but just need to know that to be sure, as well as whether you fly in easy, normal or hard modes? And the slip, is this in vertical (see-sawing) and/or horizontal?

Edit: See that you solved your problem - simultaneous post, if so, thats good, no need to reply.

Edited by peter01

Hi cj, the add-on planes are done by different people and done differently from one another too - some are similar to stock ones, some are not. The reason I say this is to ask you which add-on planes work well for you, which stock don't (just one or two of each)? I suspect I know why you have these issues, but just need to know that to be sure, as well as whether you fly in easy, normal or hard modes? And the slip, is this in vertical (see-sawing) and/or horizontal?

Edit: See that you solved your problem - simultaneous post, if so, thats good, no need to reply.

NP with the simultaneous posting.....

Primarily the problems seemed to be excessive pitch response. Roll.....as I assume is accurate was rather sluggish on the stock planes, while I have found that some add ons like the Sopwith Pup and F.2B had a great roll rate

I started out playing on Normal flight mode, but have recently made the switch to Hard now that I am (mostly) getting used to the quirks of biplanes.....

The aforementioned joystick calibration dampened down most of the issues I was having although I will admit that at times I find myself jumping around trying to get a plane in my sights.

:blush:

Okay, the pitch/see-sawing you experience is due to this line

PitchDamper=xxxx

at the top of the data.ini for the aircraft in that aircraft folder. TW tend to put a number of around 0.5, while many add-ons put numbers of 0.75 or higher (up to 1.0 I think), the higher numbers dampens pitch oscillations, when aiming plus other things.

I personally feel lower numbers are more realistic to the era, but it does get a bit annoying. Higher numbers also reduce the "dolphin AI" experience :smile: .

Anyway, joystick setttings help but do not eliminate these things, if you have a favourite plane that you'd like to reduce the oscillation, change as I suggest as above. Just make a backup copy first.

Cheers

Edited by peter01