Sign in to follow this  
Deuces

So you wanna paint dirt?

I was asked via an email if I could put together something to help the SF community members dabble in creating new terrain tiles. Well I had a few moments today to take some screen shots and throw together the first 2 parts of a very basic tutorial. This is a simple tutorial at best but may help anyone that might have interest. Anyway, have a look, give it a shot. I'd love to see what you guys can come up with. Read parts 1&2 HERE

Great job Deuces, this one's going on the frontpage. ;)

I will be uploading part 3 of this tutorial in next day or so. For those who have read parts 1 and 2, I've decided to cover transitional tiles a bit deeper. Here is a preview of what you will be able to create after the part 3. Sorry for the large image MJ. I'd be happy to scale it down if need be.

lesson2fini.jpg

So I take it, Dueces, that its not possible to add tile types to the sim? You can only overwrite current ones?

Oh no...you can do any kind of tile type you want, the focus of this tutorial was on reskinning the default tiles which is pretty much anyone wanting to do a terrain can do right now without the editor. What tile type were you thinking about?

I wasn't so much thinking about a specific type, just thinking of expanding SF with newer, more in depth ground textures. I want to see ground textures as good as Falcon 4.0 some day.

Sorry coffee just shot out of my nose. I too would like to see new terrains and textures. I hope they never look like Falcon though...sorry but the old sat images with a green cowpie plopped in here and there is not what I would consider an improvement, but that's just my opinion. Now if there have been improvements with the SP4, then I'd be happy to eat my words :D

Guest Ranger332

ff2.jpg

to the one talking about the Falcon4.0 tarraine, it looks good from on high but as you see when down in the dirt it loses some of its glammer. it can do better yourself just take a real photo cut ant past to a tile and your there, Falcon4.0 was the best of its time ,but that time has past, Its still a sim to be modeled after,but there are better out there and on the way.;) imho

now check the differance you see more "real buildings" (3d objects on the 2d terraine)

img00013.jpg