Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

WOV/SFP1 - On a stick!

Hey guys,

Been using something called portable applications - PortableApps. The idea is that instead of having applications running off the computer, you have the applications on a USB stick and run them off the stick...no install, setup, or anything. The program basically is self contained, so all you need is a Windows PC with a USB port and you're good to go. Great for if you're traveling a lot, and aren't sure what programs may be at the computer you are using at a destination.

Anyway, I decided on a lark, to try to run SFP1 and WOV (basic installs, fully patched) off a flash drive as well...already knowing about how easy it is to backup.

Well, it works! Not only that, it works REALLY well! I was quite surprised actually! It's funny, now I keep thinking all I need is a USB joystick, and my flash drive, and I can pretty much sim ANYWHERE there is a Windows PC that runs XP and meets the specs!

Also, would serve as a quick way to intro folks into the SFP1 world without dragging my whole PC or installing anything on their computer.

FastCargo

Hey guys,

Been using something called portable applications - PortableApps. The idea is that instead of having applications running off the computer, you have the applications on a USB stick and run them off the stick...no install, setup, or anything. The program basically is self contained, so all you need is a Windows PC with a USB port and you're good to go. Great for if you're traveling a lot, and aren't sure what programs may be at the computer you are using at a destination.

Anyway, I decided on a lark, to try to run SFP1 and WOV (basic installs, fully patched) off a flash drive as well...already knowing about how easy it is to backup.

Well, it works! Not only that, it works REALLY well! I was quite surprised actually! It's funny, now I keep thinking all I need is a USB joystick, and my flash drive, and I can pretty much sim ANYWHERE there is a Windows PC that runs XP and meets the specs!

Also, would serve as a quick way to intro folks into the SFP1 world without dragging my whole PC or installing anything on their computer.

FastCargo

I remember trying that with X-Wing a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure the fact that it was an ancient school computer running on Windows ME had nothing to do with the experiment's failure, so after my detention I concluded that it was impossible. I'm glad to see you got it working at least.

As you pointed out, it is really useful for intro-ing people to SFP1 (&c), or for letting people borrow it.

I wonder if it would work on the library computers...

Once 8 GB flash drives are cheap enough, I may have to try it! :blink:

Yeah, I gotta have all the candy or it just ain't as cool.

My 80 GB external 2.5" drive may fit the bill though...