Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saganuay82

Thud Ridge

Guest Saganuay82

In Jack Broughton's book Thud Ridge, he tells of a shoot down of a MiG17. I take it from reading it that he killed it. It was where he came up behind a pair taking off in a "sloppy echelon" and he wanted them both. He says he opted for guns due to too many switches for a Sidewinder shot.

Then he says he began firing on one and was doing pretty good on him and the MiG rolled over like a sick fish. Doign pretty good on him and rolling over that low would indicate to me that Mr Miggy was going to make a big hole. If that was a kill, why isn't listed in the MiG kills by Thud at various websites? Did it not meet the criteria for a confirmed? Is there a site that lists possibles?

Just reading it again last night coming off watch.

I think it was something to do with no one saw it hit the ground. :dntknw: I've also heard there were more than a few pilots who never reported kills after their 4th. If they had, they'd have been sent home as "america's newest ace" and they didn't want to leave. That could cause some issues with "kill lists."

There are also the "illegal" kills that took place across a border that shouldn't have been crossed. I once knew a guy online who'd killed a MiG...but it wasn't NVAF or over Vietnam, so he didn't get official credit since no one wanted to antagonize China too much and make a repeat of the Korean War.