Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Hunter Safety

I just wanted to remind all the hunters here to keep safety in the front of your mind.always let someone know where you're hunting,never point a weapon(bow,or fire arm)at anybody,don't climb trees or cross fences with your weapon,ALWAYS wear your safety belt in tree stand and PLEASE be sure of your target and whats behind it.these are just a few that you should keep in mind as well as always treat every weapon as if it were loaded.post your pics here if you get something and want to show it off.Have a safe and successful season.and wear your blaze orange as required by law.

Yeah for hunting season!!! I had a picture of me a few other kids at a dove hunt that goes on here every year. oh well, dont have it anymore...

I'll have to post a few pics when I get my Deer.....but that won't be till next season. I broke out my bow to get warmed up...then broke it. I finished repairs on it today, but I'm affraid it may be to weak to shoot.

I'll be purchasing a new bow for next year. It's a Hungarian Magyar Horsemans bow. I only hunt traditional. No guns, no rifles. Although I have done some muzzle loading.

Currently have a Gemsbok Horn Bow, which I had to repair.

Here's a few pics:

fatesbow.jpg

Here's the new one (no...that's not me in the pic)

new-3.jpg

Can't wait to get back

Oh yea...I got a Bear Alaskan Compound as well...but the Magyar can shoot just as fast.

Fates

Guest Schizo

Safety should all ways be foremost and knowledge and training is the way to avoid accidents. I used to own a pre ban AR-15 A2 HBAR with an Aimpoint 2000 dot scope, a Stainless Colt Govt. Model 45 with Pachmayer grips and Wilson Rogers magazines and a Mossberg Bullpup shotgun. The shotgun was junk, I should of bought a Remington 870P Magnum. Had to sell them all when I moved in to DC.

A few things I learned somewhere.

1.) Always treat a weapon as if its loaded.

2.) Never point a weapon at something that you don't intend to fire at.

3.) Never fire a weapon if someone other than your target is in front of the muzzle.

4.) Do not carry your weapon cocked and locked if you intend to jump fences, climb obstacles or jump from high places.

5.) Be sure of your target and what's behind it.

There are a few other things I'd like to ad if you own a handgun...

1.) Learn the "Weaver Stance".

2.) Learn the "British Double-Tap Method".

3.) Read a book called "In the Gravest Extreme" by Mossad Ayoub.

Although he is Arab and is pro 9mm he wrote this book in the mid 80's before 9-11 happened but his insights are thoughtful.

And just rememmber that anything under .40 Cal in a handgun is insufficient for personal defense. 9mm was designed for sub-machine guns. Also, if you're smart enough to understand the British Double tap method you'll also stay away from double-action handguns because of the difference of the trigger-pull between the first and second rounds.

One other thing, drop a Colt 45 in the mudd and pick it up and it's still usefull.

Do that with a double-action and I hope it works for you ;) .

I'll leave the .223 vs. .308 debate for later.

Schizo

Jeez Fates, why dontcha make it hard man? I got an old 40lb recurve that I had a few years but man its hard to hold a shot very long. As much as I shake, Im doin good to hit the target much less the bullseye. I prefer a good Compound bow. Ive got a nice old Hoyt Easton that still delivers 70lbs. Not as sexy as the newer single cam Compounds but still gots lots of punch. Gosh, its time to dust it off and go "nail" a few rabbits...no pun intended...ok, it was intended... :P

Yes, hunters be safe! Its more for the experiance as the kill to me, espesially with a good freind or family member...read son or daughter. Dont waste anything, be prepared to bring it all home if possible, (a pet peeve). NEVER shoot till you have positively identified your target, movement or suspicion is never enough to fire a round off for, only fools do that.

PCPilot...

IMHO the Hungarian bow is by far superior then anything ever produced until Fred Bear was born. I am strictly a "Primitive" archer, although I shoot compounds as well, I just dont hunt with them.

I made the Gemsbok by hand, and I also have made other bows, all self-bows. As much as I enjoy the compounds technological advances, the Hungarian Magyar dates back to an ancient time. If you ever get the chance to fire one....you will never pick up a compound again.

As a comment on the bows, Celestino Tolelti holds the Guinness Book of World Records record for the most arrows shot in a 24 hour period. In 1997 he fired 13,100 arrows. He did this with a Magyar Sport right off the rack, no modifications, no endorsement. This year he is planning to go for his own record. He will be using a Kassai HiTech Hun. I would guess this man knows archery and has a number of bows from which he could choose.

The Hungarian is a very smooth bow, and has the feel of a compound. The accelleration of the arrow is similar to what a compound produces. You'll be able to pull it back and hold it with out shaking for quite some time.

Next summer I'll post some pics and vids of myself and friends performing aerial shots with self-bows. This will include hitting targets from paperplate size to dimes tossed in the air.

Cheers!

Fates

Ah, very cool. Its neat to hear about something new. Ill keep my eye out for one of these. My archery shop in San Diego has some interesting stuff, maybe they have one of those Hungry thingies... :P

Always willing to try something new, Ill give her a whirl... :)