Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Any more Sim/Strategy games out there?

I know we have a special subforum but it's kinda dead-ish...

What I'm interested in are games that somehow combine the scale and the number of units from strategy games and the ability tinker with the internals of the units.

I've tried

Flight Commander 2 (thnx, streakeagle! It's awesome!)

Achtung, Spitfire! and Over the Reich - pretty much the same as FC2 only in WW2 and prettier. And boring.

Great Naval Battles series by SSI - too bad they dumped the campaign thing in all sequels, including the last about WW1. No subs too.

Harpoon Classic 97 and Harpoon 3. Buggy, but amazingly immersive. Apart from planes - after FC2 I can't bear seeing F-4 fire 4 Sparrows at 4 targets in 10s and turning back home without tracking.

What else worth seeing is there? :blink: Really good if it's not naval... I'm getting seasick of seeing oval shapes fighting on blue already :biggrin:

How about Sins of a Solar Empire? It's SF, but it scales from large-scale down to individual ships. You can't upgrade the small fighters and bombers, but all the others you can.

I wrote both a review and a beginner's guide to SoaSE for a game mag, so I can't bear playing it anymore :rofl:

I was thinking more along the lines of "high detail, large scale, adequate realism."

Tried Fleet Command... feels like simplified Harpoon. Ran out of ideas... guess I'll stick to FC2. :biggrin:

Reading Harpoon really brought back from memories. When I was a dorm dweller as an Airman, one of the guys down the hall had that on his computer. We'd run a Desert Storm scenario and let it rip, all in real time. BUFFs taking off from Diego took so long to get to the targets or ALCM launch points. But it was fun.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Is there anything that is similiar now?

Storm