In TK's many descriptions of the gear animating sequences he always states the following:

At frame 0 the gear should be fully retracted and uncompressed.

It should start this way in key frame 1 (or 11 or whatever) and end in frame 10 with the gear extended and compressed.

Is this all that needs to be done for shock stroke in max?

I see a couple of paragraphs that explain that shock animation can de done seperatly. Could this be done with key frame 41 extended, uncompressed and frame 50 extended and compressed? Or is it in the same frames as retraction?

I'm having problems with the shock animation because of the canted stance of the main landing gear - simple linear motion throws the oleo out of the pison so I was thinking about animating the shock stroke. I'll probably be able to answer my own question with trial and error - but any input would be appreciated.

TD

Shock animation can be done in 10 frames, and is done one way only (from uncompressed to compressed). Now, there is a parameter in the ini which allows for compression during gear retraction if you are having a problem during gear cycling.

My typical technique for gear has been 1-10 for gear cycle, 11-20 for nose shock, then 21-30 for main shock (usually both, but you can break this out if you have spare animations...ie 21-30 for left shock, 31-40 for right shock).

FastCargo

FC

Not trying to be dense but do you use 11-20 to animate from the extended position?

Full extension on frame 11 and full compression on frame 20 with the gear extended?

Obviously I haven't tried that yet - too much bouncing plane syndrome as of yet. (My main gear wheels are out of round and have to be re-made.)

Or the other way around - full compression on frame 11 and extended on 20 - as that's the state of the model on frame 11...

I'm only marginally this stupid - but an answer that I can actually wrap my brain around will save me enough time to make the windshield wiper animate. :smile:

Full extension on frame 11 and full compression on frame 20 with the gear extended?

Yep, that's it exactly. The engine seems to like it that way.

FastCargo