Sign in to follow this  
Bananimal

I'm totally stumped here!... No fuel tanks no matter what!

K, Ive got a clean install of WOE with WOV merged into it. It's patched up with the October 2008 B patch. I have extracted a clean weaponsdata.ini file to the root of the Objects folder. I add weapons for each individual aircraft to the weaponsdata.ini file and save. I have copied the weaponsdata.exe to the Windows system folder because I am using Vista 64. I even tried it in XP with the same negative results. I'm using the 42406 exe for WOE. I even tried using the newest editor for WOI as suggested. No go. Nothing works. When I open the weaponsdata.ini I open each weapon, select "OK" and then "SAVE." I go down the list and open each weapon. I know how to use this believe it or not!

None of the new weapons show up. In fact, Trying to add the new fuel tanks and weapons knocks out my default fuel tanks. Anyone have any ideas here. I have followed the install instructions for each aircraft and added each entry to the weaponsdata.ini file. You can see the weapons in the weapon editor too. After going through the motion of opening and saving each weapon the results are the same. No fuel tanks and no new weapons. This is frustrating.

Where is the new weapondata.dat file being saved?

FastCargo

Where is the new weapondata.dat file being saved?

FastCargo

The root of the objects folder.

Shouldn't the weapondata.ini and the weaopndata.dat be in the [Objects / Weapons] folder with the new lods and textures?

Okay, here's an idea:

Grab the following files:

WeaponEditor.exe (the version compatible with the sim)

Weapondata.ini (with your new entries in it)

WeaponEditor.ini

Put those 3 files in a new directory...doesn't matter...heck, put it on a USB stick if you like.

Open up the WeaponEditor.ini file and change the following in bold:

[WeaponEditor]

TargetDirectory=E:\Universal ThirdWire Install\Objects\Weapons

ImportDirectory=E:\Universal ThirdWire Install\Objects\Weapons

PositionX=255

PositionY=492

Change the bolded parameters to the directory you put those 3 files into.

Save the WeaponEditor.ini file.

Now, right click on the WeaponEditor.exe file and open up the Properties tab. Then click on the Compatabilities tab and make it Win98 compatible.

Okay, now you're ready.

Run the WeaponEditor.exe file. Use the editor and open up your weapondata.ini file with it. Then hit the Save button. DO NOTHING ELSE in the editor.

You should see a new Weapondata.dat file created in that directory.

Then take the Weapondata.dat file and put it in the Objects root directory (or the Weapons directory...either works). Make sure there are NO other Weapondata.dat files anywhere else in your Thirdwire sim directory.

Run the sim and see if your new entries are in there.

FastCargo

Thanks for the reply FC but still it doesn't work. The weapondata.dat file is created but none of the new weapons show in the sim when I move the weapndata.dat file to the root of the objects folder. If I move the weapondata.dat file to the weapons directory all weapons disappear. Maybe a clue for you there? Dunno. I've never had this problem before.

UAC is turned off on my system as well. And like I said, I tried it in XP as well with the same negative results.

Edited by Bananimal

If your weapons disapper the problem lies in a old version of the Weapon editor.

As FC suggested use the last build for WOI from the Thirdwire site directly.

That is the one and only that works with oct2008 patched games.

S!

I'd agree with Tannethal here...I think what's happening is that you are using the wrong version of the WeaponsEditor. When you have the weapondata.dat file in the Objects directory, the sim isn't seeing it, and so uses the stock weapondata.dat (which explains why your new weapons aren't showing). When you put it in the Weapons directory, the sim does see it, but can't read it properly, and so you have no weapons at all.

FastCargo

Excellent. Problem fixed. It was three seperate issues causing the problem.

1. Using the wrong editor for the patched versions of WOE.

2. The weapon Data file was being stored in the root of the Objects folder and not in the Weapons folder.

3. I had to move the editor out of the Objects folder before running it.

Thanks guys!

BTW I did do a search before I asked. None said to move the weapons editor or dat file out of the Obejcts folder.