Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

Save Hard Drive Space!

All,

Every now-and-then I like to fly single missions in Vogesen (LINK), but I've been play testing winter tiles lately so the date was set to December. Low and behold I was flying in a snowy Vogesen terrain!!!

No doubt somebody already knows about this; Gepard did as seen in the Vogesen.ini (thank you!), but I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, and I'm out of the loop on most occasions. Apparently there is no need to double- or triple-up tile sets in FE. As mentioned by p10ppy in the FE Knowledge Base, Verdun terrain tiles are simply a subset of Cambrai, and so is Vogesen (I haven't looked into Edward's Flanders yet). However, instead of duplicating the terrain tiles for each season (which can add up really quickly), try this terrain.INI edit ...

Please read p10ppy's post on the topic here, LINK, it is post #4 in the order. Some tiles need to duplicated and renamed, he lists them for you. Also back up first.

Now extract the Verdun terrain.ini to its folder, and in certain places (marked below <<<<) point it to the various seasonal Cambrai terrain folders. Cambrai Terrain Folder will hold the only seasonal tile folders you'll need for Verdun. My Verdun Terrain folder holds NO tiles, but works just fine with this edit.

Vogesen terrain folder (Gepard's update) and Vogesen.ini already points to the Cambrai terrain folder, and has a few Vogesen specific tiles (castles, Rhine river, etc.), so leave those tiles alone in Vogesen terrain folder since they are required.

You can keep the stock 3 season set up in your ini's, or utilize some of the excellent 3rd party downloads (see LINK's), to make a 5 "season" set up which works well for variety. You'll need to make 2 extra folders, "Summer" and "Deep Snow", and add tiles from the links listed below, or improvise yourself. This set-up works very well for me, but has evolved over the past few weeks, so I hope I haven't forgotten to mention something. So please Back UP first to make sure it works!

NB: I am in the process of modding some of the missing seasonal tiles for Vogesen (FRRhine G and K), but should have them ready in the next day or so. The Rhine River tiles will be summer tiles for now if you fly in the winter, so just beware but don't panic. I am also modding Max188's winter tiles for use in Cambrai as a "Deep Snow" season, but that'll take a bit longer.

Example for Verdun.ini follows, see embedded LINKs. For Vogesen.ini replace the portions involving code from [season001] to [season005] only.

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Verdun, France

DataFile=wwiVerdun_data.INI

TargetFile=wwiVerdun_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=wwiVerdun_types.INI

MovementFile=wwiVerdun_movement.INI

NationsFile=wwiVerdun_nations.INI

BriefingText=wwiVerdun_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=wwiVerdun_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

Longitude=5.221

Latitude=49.176

[Map]

FilenameFormat=wwiVerdun_Map%d.bmp

Width=250000.0

Height=250000.0

NumZoomLevels=3

[WeatherChance]

//I have "BIG TRIANGLES" in the sky graphics issues with Overcast & Inclement

//weather, so change these percentages to your liking here and in the seasons.

ScatteredChance=35

BrokenChance=35

OvercastChance=0

InclementChance=0

//The dates seasonal tiles will show up are changed to discrete months for play testing in single mission.

//Alter the seasonal start-end dates to suit your preference, or return to stock dates.

[season001]

//try Max188's hi-res (512 x 512) winter tiles from here LINK

//BUT BEWARE, the "Rough" tiles need to be modded yet, and are in the works...

Directory=..\wwiCambrai\Deep Snow <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<ADD this line

StartDate=1/1

EndDate=2/26

ScatteredChance=20

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=25

InclementChance=3

[season002]

//try flyguy2's SpringTerrain available here LINK

Directory=..\wwiCambrai\Spring <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Replace this line

StartDate=02/27

EndDate=05/31

ScatteredChance=40

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season003]

//Rename 3rdWire's stock Spring folder to Summer, ie: use the "Spring" tiles for "Summer" season

Directory=..\wwiCambrai\Summer <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<ADD this line

StartDate=06/01

EndDate=08/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season004]

//Retain stock 3rdWire Fall Folder

Directory=..\wwiCambrai\Fall <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Replace this line

StartDate=09/01

EndDate=10/31