Sign in to follow this  
OlPaint01

Reassigning Joystick Buttons?

Hello Uncle Al or anyone,

I can reassign the important keyboard commands away from three-finger keystrokes to single-finger keystrokes following your "OFF Tips and Cheats" articles in the sticky section. But I want to reassign the joystick buttons as well. I cannot find a XML or TXT file anywhere in the OFF directorys or the associated CFS3 directorys that contains or lists the default key and button assignments that I might edit. Are the Joystick Button Assignments hard coded into the game?

My Saitek EVO Force has ten buttons and two shift buttons for a total of twelve buttons.

The Command List in Quick Combat > Go To Field > Hanger > Controls screen has eight Button assignments that parallel eight Keyboard assignments:

Fire Guns and Cannons..... SpaceBar or Button 01

Fire Cannons..... Ctrl + SpaceBar or Button 02

Fire/Drop Ordnance..... Enter or Button 03

Select Next Weapon..... Backspace or Button 04

Extend Flaps..... F or Button 05

Retract Flaps..... V or Button 06

Next Target..... Tab or Button 07

PadLock Toggle..... `(Accent) or Button 08

I have not yet installed the Saitek SST Profile Editor so I still retain my POV view control in my hat switch.

And I am still using the default joystick button assignments shown above in the game at this time.

My question is: Can the Button assignments and the commands that they control be changed?

I would like to reassign the Mixture Incrementing commands to Buttons 05 and 06 away from the default Flaps Incrementing commands:

Mixture Lean..... Ctrl + -(Minus) or Button 05

Mixture Rich..... Ctrl + =(Equals) or Button 06

I would also like to assign the Engine Start (Auto-Start) to Button 09 and Engine Stop (Mixture Idle Cutoff) to Button 10.

Engine Start..... E or Button 09

Engine Stop..... Ctrl + Shift + F6 or Button 10

Someone please tell me that this is do-able...and more importantly - how to do it!!!

OlPaint01

I have not yet installed the Saitek SST Profile Editor so I still retain my POV view control in my hat switch. And I am still using the default joystick button assignments shown above in the game at this time.

My question is: Can the Button assignments and the commands that they control be changed?

The only way you're going get joystick buttons off their defaults is to use the SST software. Go download the latest version from Saitek and knock yourself out. During installation, be sure to allow it to install the "magic mouse" thingy or none of your prifiles will work during play.

I don't have your particular stick but one of the cool things about Saitek is that their software works the same way for all their gear. I have several other Saitek sticks and wheels and they all program the same way.

When you fire up the software, you'll probably see your POV hat grayed out. This is because it's on "fallback", which is Saitek's way of saying "it uses the default". If you like what your hat's doing now, then just leave that alone and program the other buttons.

Just remember, you'll have to load the resulting profile into your stick before you fly, same as starting TrackIR.

If you've got any specific questions on how to use the Saitek software, feel free to ask. I've been using it for many years so know a bit about it ;).

Edited by Bullethead