Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

As anyone cracked balloon busting?

Hi all, once again on a ballooon busting mission i got shot to bits before i got 800yards in at the target....Just wondered if anyones found the ideal method for destroying them yet.

Hi all, once again on a ballooon busting mission i got shot to bits before i got 800yards in at the target....Just wondered if anyones found the ideal method for destroying them yet.

I just zoom down from above and they disappear pretty quickly. If you come in from the side you make a great target for the gunners below.

Greetings Red-Dog,

I assume you are not using the Le Prieur rockets as they are just slightly above useless. My best success in practice missions has been to emulate our WW1 counterparts: Come in from above with lots of speed and start blasting away from a couple hundred yards out, then pull up, fly away and hope for the best. I have roasted about six Hun gas bags with two plane losses, and walked away from one of the related crashes. You are playing short odds no matter how you try this mission Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks guy's i've been doing the level run in,i will try the dive and zoom tactic next time. :good:

Willie Coppens, had it down to a science in real life, but none had the nerve to imitate him. He would SPOT the balloon from 20,000 ( so they couldn't hear him ) cut his engine, and Dive on the balloon. When he closed to gun range, he'd begin fire, and shoot all 8 rockets at once from his Hanriot. And hopefully he was going fast enough to spin his propellor, he'd restart his engine.

The enemy gunners knew where he was, but they couldn't fire, the balloon was in the way. After the Balloon was history, Willie flew away at top speed . .or better

This Belgian Ace did his thing in 1916. His record was 27 Balloons, 2 Aircraft, he survived the War

I'd say 20,000 is a bit much in OFF, try from 10,000 without cutting your engine, just chop your throttle

Thanks for adding that! I remember reading about that method but I couldn't remember who did it.

Ah yes, Willy Coppens. One of the great balloon busters. I just purchased a 1st edition of the english translation of his book, "Days on the Wing", and I look forward with much anticipation to reading it when it arrives.

Cheers!

Lou

one can always cruise about above the balloon...and the archie generally does the work for you....saves ammo to shoot at the bad chaps that usually show up.....defenses'll chew your plane up a bit and, while it's satisfying to pop the gasbag, trying to beat feet for home with a broken wing is not a good recipe for longevity......astonishing how bravery and pluck don't answer....whilst playing the odds do....beautiful work by the devs