Sign in to follow this  
Olham

No easier on the other side

I must admit, that I had the suspicion, BHaH might be easier for the Allied forces side.

That is not so.

Just made two more flights with 65 RFC. Now, when all my German flights warps end with me

being lower than the enemies, that is the same, flying for the British. Also, that the enemy

seems to eat my men within seconds, although I ordered "attack".

What really annoied me, was, that my experiences with Albatros planes did not help here.

When I try to hawk down on enemies almost vertically in my Albatros, my wings just break off.

Here, I had 5 D V above me, but thought, I could climb towards them without them doing that

impossible attack.

But they did exactly that - without breaking up! That way, all my experience is of no value.

Welcome to the twenty minuters!

Did you really think that the reason we won, was because we had it easier? :smile:

Not you, surely, Widow - fighting inbetween flights with carps even,

that drive hooks through yout thumbs - Lol!!!

I am a Fighter Pilot!...Not going to let a little thing like a hook stop me!..ouch.. MAMMA!! :fie:

Lieutenant Widowmaker!

Next time, I see you angling for carps from your Camel,

you will find yourself in the canteen kitchen, peeling the spuds!

By the way - which lure do you use, pilot?

Olham, try flying with 56 squadron in May, 1917. An early flight had 7 SE5a's against 12 DV's. I got lucky and managed to get behind one on the first pass and drop him in about a minute. I looked around to catch my bearings... there were NO other enemy planes around. Turned on my TAC to be sure, and nothing! They had all either been shot down or driven off! Good pilots with you in 56!

RR

Well, Rick, but that isn't satisfying either.

If my wingmen, or the other flight, get wiped out in 1 or 2 minutes, that's just over the top,

or not? Was the action really so quick, over and out, in WW1?

I must admit, that I had the suspicion, BHaH might be easier for the Allied forces side. That is not so.

Hehehe, I've always suspected it must be the other way around. One of these days, I might try flying for the Kaiser to see just how easy you Huns have it :)

Just made two more flights with 65 RFC. Now, when all my German flights warps end with me

being lower than the enemies, that is the same, flying for the British. Also, that the enemy

seems to eat my men within seconds, although I ordered "attack".

I don't know what date you're flying, but 65 Squadron starts out as "poor" quality in October 1917. If that's when you're flying, don't expect many happy endings to your sorties. AI pilot quality IMHO is the single most important factor in dogfights, and a Brit squadron with "poor" quality is sheer suicide to fly for. Most Jastas are "good" and a few are "elite", so most of the time, even the non-ace enemy AI pilots are going to be way better than your wingmen.

When a "poor" Brit squadron meets a Jasta, usually the issue is decided within the 1st minute. In that time, the AI Brit pilots will either have run away or been slaughtered by the much better German AI pilots. Either way, you'll very soon find yourself alone facing heavy odds, usually deep in Hunland. This is not conducive to you having a long career :haha:

So my advice is, never ever fly for a "poor" Brit squadron unless you're feeling very masochistic or just don't care at all about your long-term survival. OTOH, as mentioned, flying for an "elite" squadron like No. 56 isn't much fun, either, because they wipe most Germans out as quickly as "poor" Brit squadrons die.

This leaves "good" and "average" squadrons. "Good" squadrons are fun because your wingmen are as skilled as their opponents and are willing to hang around and fight. Thus, you end up with a lot of fairly long, drawn-out, relatively even fights where aircraft performance differences and the necessary tactics become very significant. You can live a long time and you won't have to kill everything yourself. "Average" squadrons are rather more challenging. Your AI buddies are going to lose most of the time, but survive or hang around somewhat longer than in "poor" squadrons. This puts a high premium on you playing superman, rapidly knocking down many Huns before they can wipe out your wingmen. If you can do that, you might live a long time, but you'll have a huge score you might think is unrealistic. If you can't do that, then you'll probably die after a couple of missions.

What really annoied me, was, that my experiences with Albatros planes did not help here.

When I try to hawk down on enemies almost vertically in my Albatros, my wings just break off.

Here, I had 5 D V above me, but thought, I could climb towards them without them doing that

impossible attack. But they did exactly that - without breaking up!

Yeah, the AI seems rather immune to structural failure. Get used to being swooped by Albatri :biggrin: