Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

CS2 extract tool help please?!

Hi Gang,

I am playing around with the extract tool in CS2 (as you do) and am having this rather odd problem (well, odd to me as I don't know wtf I am doing!)

I went around this Camel quite carefully...but this is what happens when i have finished....especially noticeable is the wing stripes.

Is this to do with the properties of a screenshot as opposed to a photo?...or indeed, the model itself?...or am i missing something?

I just wanted to put this camel into a photo.

Thanks for any advice on what to do.

post-22245-1241957604_thumb.jpg

Widowmaker, what exactly is this extract tool you speak of? CFS is still rather new to me so I am learning too. If I can try out this tool maybe I can sort out what is going on with it in the example you show here. Thanks WM.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou

I use the Extract command in CS2...you then get a kinda 'Marker Pen' which you can use to trace around the object..which allows you to remove it from it's background!...and it works fine with photos!...but screenshots seem to elude it!

Thanks for replying, and hope you can suss it

Aaaah, now I know what you are referring to WM, (I had thought you meant some tool that was available in the Combat Flight Simulator software...LOL). I have found that screenshots seem to have too much infiltration of the background into the image itself and the extract tool gets "confused" as it tries to decide which is image and which is background. What I have tried in the past is to change the color of the background to something that is not anywhere in the image itself...hot pink for example. Then the extract tool seems to have a better chance of reading what it is you want to extract correctly. It doesn't always work, but I have had some success with it. The way I tend to do it more often when I am trying to get a very crisp image clip out of the background is to simply cut the image out and paste it into a worksheet and then erase away the background by hand with the erase wand, leaving the "extracted" image in its own layer with very clean edges.

Hope this helps Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

I suspected as much!..... I will have a go at your other method Lou...Many thanks m8