Sign in to follow this  
PRang

Problem with VC

Hello Friends

I got a situation with OFF PH3 and that is when I fly ( Spad VII or Sop Tripe2gun for example) some of the airplanes in VC (?) F3

I only see the front part of the aircraft just behind the rotating prop, nothing else.

I cannot bring it out using the "[" key. What I am doing wrong and what is the solution for this?

Thanks

PRang

Sounds to me like you are flying an "ai" plane,,,,,

About the only way i know of to get into an ai plane is to fly a prepared mission, and pick a plane that was set by the mission builder to be an ai plane, and not flown by the person playing the mission..

gallery_45808_317_147483.jpeg

see how the camels have the asterick after them,,,,that means the are flyable planes, they have cockpits and such,,,,,the spads dont have the astereick, meaning the are just ai planes, (not necessarily enemy planes,,,,)

Supposedly its done this way to cut down on disk space usage, as the ai planes dont have anywhere near as much data as flyable planes.

There is a way to remedy the situation. You have to open the mission you are flying in mission builder, and make all the "ai" planes flyable ones.

if i am right about the manner in which you are getting the ai planes, and want to edit the mission, post it here, and either me or someone else will be sure to try and walk you thru editing a mission to make ai planes flyable...

Thanks sitting_duck and others :good:

It seems to have worked in one of the missions. I will try the others later; but, I am sure they will work

Thanks again

PRang :tumbleweed:

Edited by PRang

well,,just because a plane is flyable in one mission, doesnt mean it is flyable in another mission.. By flyable, i mean it has a cockpit...

When someone builds a mission, and they want to add a plane, they have around 5 different "varieties" (for lack of the proper word), of each plane. Only one of them is flyable, and it ends with and *......

If one mission you fly had a fokker_dvll* plane in it, you will have a cockpit, if another mission you fly has a fokker_dvll_ac1 in it, you might be able to pick the plane, but you will not have a cockpit,,,you get that funky view like your right behind the prop...

Sitting_duck

Thanks again. The arplanes worked as you mentioned. Missions are flying like I hoped for. I learned something I did not know.

Thanks again

PRang

Hi Guys,

Some clarification on plane types and why they are there.

One of the reason we have AI planes is to reduce the amount of load and space required on your hard drive. the AI planes do not have a cockpit model file included in there folders a s they were never meant to be flown. no amount of key assignments etc is going to give you a VC view in any of the AI planes in OFF.

But the main reason for 5 or 6 AI planes of each type of craft being included was to be able to give you all those lovely flights you see going about there bussiness when your in a campiagn mission or a single player mission with out chewing up several hundred extra MB of HD space.

example you are taking off with your flight in your 56 squadron SE5's and to you left is another flight of SE5's from 70 squadron with there correct markings. without multiple versions of SE5 this would not have been possible, or perhaps you have just come up against a flight of very brightly coloured Fokker DrI's its the AI planes that allow this to happen.

and this leads to the next reason for AI planes as opposed to fully flyable.

(tip for mission builders for non player flights or enamy flights you can have multiple model types listed in the one flight and they will all show up ingame ie the circus I just described above, whereas a player flight can only have one model type assigned to it. I use this method for Battle of Britain period missions in the ETO addon to have crack german units like the abberville boys all showing up at once in teh same flight)

setting them to AI stops the aircraft list ingame from becoming to long with all those repeated aircraft of the same type but differant name, which would mean when setting up an quick combat mission it would take a month of sundays to scroll through the list before you get to the Spad or Roland should you be flying for the bad guys..

In a normal CFS3 install you see a list of planes for each country when you set up a quick combat or when you change your aircraft flight whilst loading a mission. With AI aircraft by changing of the plane type from 0 too 2 it means that the plane will not show in either of those lists. this would be the same for OFF if those menus were still enabled but the OFF manager controls what planes are selectable for the most part. (for the guys who flew P1 or P2 or any of the other CFS3 addons etc you know what I mean.)

mostly you get AI aircraft as player flyable aircraft when a mission builder has accidently selected an AI aircraft from the list when building the mission (as unlike the ingame lists all the planes including AI show up on the selection list when building a mission).

As pointed out above planes with the asterix are the ones for player flights the rest of the planes (for a given type) are so you can assign other flights in your mission using teh same plane type in the mission that may then have a differant skin to the flight your in as a player. (as in CFS3 there is no way to apply multiple skins to the same model)

AI planes are set to AI only in there .air file you can edit this file to make the planes flyable (ie show up in a selection list)but this would mean your going to get that Funky view (as it was described above) everytime you were to fly that particular aircraft, as there is simply no model file for the game to call on when your in the pilot seat.

to realy make an AI flyable you would need to copy a cockpit.M3D file from the player flyable version of the plane in question and put it into the AI aircraft model folder then rename it to match and then hex edit it to match the new texture name that is being used by the AI plane instead of the texture name being used by the plane you just copied it from.

but theres no need to do any of this as we a have a player flyable version for each type of plane included in OFF.

HTH's

regards Rob.

Edited by Capt. Winters