• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Dope and D.II's...

A few quick queries: [1] Anybody know why the paint used on airplanes was called 'dope', as in 'doping the wings'? I can remember being able to buy little bottles of model airplane dope [10 cents a bottle] when I was a kid making stick and paper airplanes.

I'm posting a composite of Albatros D.II pics. I'm morphing my D.V model into the D.II. The end result will be to put together another poster/illustration about the day Boelcke and Bohme brushed each other. Using the skin for Erwin Bohme for reference, I lifted the fuselage and rudder textures to save time. [2] If the skinner who did Bohme's Albatros reads this, I would like to get permission for a one-time use of those textures.

Also, if anyone sees any mistakes or oversights, let me know. Since this one really happened, I've got to get it right.

Edited by Hauksbee

Its not actually paint.

Its a waterproofing/windproofing agent for the cloth.

Helps turn the porous eaily soaked linen into a solid surface that wind goes over, and rain runs off.

It's generally clear or with a slight browish tinge, which is why most really early planes with just dope and no paint are an off white Linen colour.

it also shrinks the cloth as well making it nice and taut. Very handy in adding extra stress bracing to the frame as well.

Paint schemes would go on top of the dope.

Its not actually paint.

Its a waterproofing/windproofing agent for the cloth.

Helps turn the porous eaily soaked linen into a solid surface that wind goes over, and rain runs off.

It's generally clear or with a slight browish tinge, which is why most really early planes with just dope and no paint are an off white Linen colour.

it also shrinks the cloth as well making it nice and taut. Very handy in adding extra stress bracing to the frame as well.

Paint schemes would go on top of the dope.

It's basically a lighter version of varnish. It's got the consistency of milk, or thinned paint, but acts like furniture varnish... and it'll put you on the floor if you breathe enough of it.

OvS

It's flammable as all hell. It's a nitrocellulose product.

Edited by SirMike1983

Very interesting. Thanks. But...how did it come to be called 'dope'? I'm sure it's not a a drug reference, given the times. [unless you got dopey from the fumes].

Because breathing the fumes makes you stupid. Like a real dope.

CJ

Anytime you're working with fiberglass, or Weldwood Contact cement, right on the can it says; only use in a well ventalated area. Well when the air temps are below freezing, you ain't gonna ventilate Schitt. Boy did I get stoned. I suspect that's how "Dope" got it's name.

Yeah, I spent my career as a commercial artist. Before computers, all typesetting had to be precisely pasted in place. Rubber Cement and Rubber Cement Thinner were staples on the desk of every artist. The thinner was just a can of Benzene. About the time I was ready to retire, they started posting little warnings on the can saying it's not a good idea to breath this stuff. Thanks

A few quick queries: [1] Anybody know why the paint used on airplanes was called 'dope', as in 'doping the wings'? I can remember being able to buy little bottles of model airplane dope [10 cents a bottle] when I was a kid making stick and paper airplanes.

I'm posting a composite of Albatros D.II pics. I'm morphing my D.V model into the D.II. The end result will be to put together another poster/illustration about the day Boelcke and Bohme brushed each other. Using the skin for Erwin Bohme for reference, I lifted the fuselage and rudder textures to save time. [2] If the skinner who did Bohme's Albatros reads this, I would like to get permission for a one-time use of those textures.

Also, if anyone sees any mistakes or oversights, let me know. Since this one really happened, I've got to get it right.

Hello Hauksbee,

The word Dope is a derivative of the Dutch word 'Doope'. This means 'Soup' in English. The early formations of ingredients (many different ones tried) were analogous to making a homemade soup. Trial and error until a good recipe was found.

Also, nice Albatros, but the lower wing should be the same chord as the upper wing, and just a bit shorter in span. Also the D.V had a different fuselage, I trust you have made the corrections to profile, and flattened the sides, etc.

Another fascinating thread!...Thanks Brian...I never knew that!

(Love the Alb Hauksbee)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker