Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Question about Lewis Gun on top wing

hello all

Did the top wing mounted Lewis have interupter gear?...or did it fire over the top of the propeller?

thanks

And because it had no interrupter gear, it had a better rate of fire than the single guns in front of the pilot the Entente were so fond of using in most of their fighters. It is definitely an advantage in firepower.

Yes, it's best to aim sharp with the Lewis. I wonder if they ever tried to put a bigger drum into it or test some other method of loading the gun. But I imagine an experienced pilot can change the drum quite quickly, though it couldn't have been easy to do in the heat of battle.

Hasse Wind,

The 97-round drum magazine WAS the bigger drum magazine and was reputed to cause stoppages because of its size - the alternative was to use the stadard 47-round drum magazine used on the infantry version of the Lewis.

"it had a better rate of fire than the single guns in front of the pilot the Entente were so fond of using in most of their fighters. It is definitely an advantage in firepower."

I'm sure I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that the advantage wasn't real or apparent, because the mounting above the wing was not as 'fixed' as the fuselage mounted weapons. If I can suss out where I read that I'll post the link.

Cheers,

Si

Hasse Wind,

The 97-round drum magazine WAS the bigger drum magazine and was reputed to cause stoppages because of its size ....

An invention of Lanoe Hawker's, possibly with input from the ever-creative Lewis Strange, one of whose own experiences highlights UncleAl's point Wiki Link

There is an interesting discussion going on at The Aerodrome forum on the effects (to rate of fire) of MG synchronization and interrupter gear:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft...an-legends.html

I don't know if these effects have been built in to OFF, but if not then the OFF Team might want to have a look, with a view to adding them to the P4 development.

Bletchley

Guest British_eh

Well, I had a most interesting find in the UK. A twin gunned Sopwith Camel, twin Lewis guns. So perhaps there was greater firepower. It was one pilot in the RNAS, and I will post a picture, and try to see about the pilot too.

Cheers,

British_eh

Apparently it was not possible to fit an interrupter gear to the Lewis because it is gas-operated. The action was copied by the Germans for their MG42 and the Americans for the M60. A truly great gun, not used by the US in WWI for political reasons.

Another favourite trick was to unship the weapon into the loading position and fly underneath a two-seater (the only safe way to attack them) and instead of having to pull the nose of your craft up, they just fired the weapon at an angle up into her exposed belly.

I was pleased to see the Command Key Card that had "load Lewis gun" command, but (a bit) disappointed to read that it didn't actually load or unload the weapon, it was just for "show".

A great image that I distinctly remember from my childhood reading...

BishopandLewis.jpg

Great pic, Venator. I've always thought this photo about the FE.2d shows the Lewis Guns nicely:

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2d_gunner.jpg

Great pic, Venator. I've always thought this photo about the FE.2d shows the Lewis Guns nicely:

Great pic too, Hasse Wind... that has to be the the most hair-raising gunner's job in the RFC.

Edited by Dej

Great pic too, Hasse Wind... that has to be the the most hair-raising gunner's job in the RFC.

Imagine shooting in that position at attacking German scouts at 10000 feet. I've always thought there were no cowards among the men who were willing to do that.