Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

Far Cry 2

So after a malaria attack, I take a pill, and then the screen goes in and out of focus for about 30 minutes of real time...tried going to a safe house and "napping" for a few hours to let the equivalent game time pass...nothing...the game lets you play for 30 minutes just fine, then 30 minutes of blurred vision.

Playing v1.03 (latest patch since it auto-patches) and this is a real show stopper.

Tried two characters (Josip and Paul) and same thing. Since one has to endure the tutorial every time one changes character, no way I am going to keep trying new characters.

Any ideas? Understand that Malaria drives the plot...but freaking really? Half an hour of real time the screen blurs? Stupid and a real deal breaker.

Please help, cheers

I played it on release, which I think was only up to 1.02 by the time I finished it, but it never did that to me. It would hit with the sound and blurriness, then the little pills icon would show up in the lower left until I took the pills. When I did, it stopped and went away. Every time.

As has been commented elsewhere around the net, the whole malaria thing makes for a good story but totally fails as implemented in the game. All it does is annoy you really. The most it contributes is the few missions you have to do to be given more pills.

Sucks if it's broken in 1.03.

found some cheats enabled through the .xml file...that seemed to return the malaria sickness level back to level-1, which is as you described.

with this out of the way, it really is a fun game...yes, the instantly regenerated guard posts can be a bit tedious, but there are often routes around them, though time consuming

cheers

I wonder what happened there.

Yeah, the wide-open exploration, even more so that FC1, is what makes this game worth playing. Some of the other things are indeed tedious. I'm still not sure how I feel about the end of the game. Let me know what you think when you finish it.