Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

A Real First For The MARINES

This is not to be made into anything political and comments about certain former President are not needed but this caught my eye today.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington...e-one-crew.html

I have been around Marine One when I was on the Saratoga and have talked to and swapped items of interest like patches with the support crew so knowing what I know about that squadron those young ladies earned the right to be the first female aircrew for Marine One. I know there is a joke in this story somewhere but my respect for KB and my love for my son prevent me from making one.

Maj. Grieves has been in the Marine Corps for 15 Years. Currently, She has more H-3 Flight Time than anyone else in the U.S. Military..........

331KB

It's about time!!

What about Air Force One next. :ok:

I will guarantee that these Lady Marines are Super squared-away to be a crew with HMX-1.

The Corps doesn't give those crew assignments to just anyone.

I had a friend who after his Vietnam tour went to HMX-1. They interviewed about 200 pilots for 2 slots.

I don't question the abilities of these ladies, and applaud them for achieving this position. But why do we have to go out of our way to make an all female crew, just to make the news?

For Women's History Month, our deployed Ops Officer put together an all female crew from 3 different crews, just so PA could write about it and fly along. It wasn't the normal day to day op. They didn't fly together normally. I felt it would have been a better event had they left the crews as is and wrote about how integrated females are into previously male only or male dominated fields.

Just my $.02

It's not that an all female aircrew was made so the Marines good get some good press, it was the fact that it was the Majors last flight with HMX-1 and the crew was in HER honor. Not her fault some little PIO sent the story out to the "news" services.

Edited by firehawkordy