Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

F-100D sluggish performance

I don't recall F-100's being that slow in previous installations. I mean I am just BARELY faster than Fresco C! I was chasing 1 fresco, at 15k feet, me and him on burners, fresco going at about 465 knots and me arounf 485-490 !? And I only had 2 winders on me, dropped the tanks earlier on...Is that normal? I feel as if this plane has no acceleration at all, it takes forever to gain some speed in level flight :shok:

Well, maybe that's just how it's supposed to be, maybe I just got used to F-4s performance and it's been a while since i the last time i flew f-100. Do you guys find it's performance adequate?

Edited by SFP1Ace

You've just got to handle it carefully. Think ahead before doing what you need to do with it. Bleeds energy like crazy in turns so factor that in to your mental equations when fighting.

I find the F-100 quite challenging to fight in and that's how it should be. Makes getting home in one piece all the sweeter.

You've just got to handle it carefully. Think ahead before doing what you need to do with it. Bleeds energy like crazy in turns so factor that in to your mental equations when fighting.

I find the F-100 quite challenging to fight in and that's how it should be. Makes getting home in one piece all the sweeter.

Right, i'll try to practice more then! :) But that speed performance...Only 30-40 KTS faster than Fresco C at 15k feet?

To me at least, the Hun always had notoriously lousy accelleration.

If chasing after a target that's straight and level, a low speed yo yo is usually the way to go.

Guest rscsjsuso5

i use the taiwan terrian in creating a single missions and i too find that the f100d and/or a of the taiwan af is also sluggish . i would fly for the china af and use chinese frescos and use air brakes and prepare my guns very slowly like a snake and carefully pull the trigger and clip the wings damaging a fuel tank and a missile on one side, i also would like to add that the fresco is also sluggish . i think the sluggishness is due to the fact that it makes us use our guns more often it gives us more variation in using our weapons while sustaining a resonable fps in graphics .

happy flying guys and gals .

Right, i'll try to practice more then! :) But that speed performance...Only 30-40 KTS faster than Fresco C at 15k feet?

I don't understand why this really surprises anyone. The Fresco isn't exactly a barn door.

Neither are area ruled, the Hun actually has a lower T/W ratio, and the Fresco is smaller overall.

Their designs are roughly similar as well, even down to both using nose intakes.

I'm not saying they are similiar (they aren't as anyone who's tried to turn in a Hun knows), but they both come from about the same time period...and they both derive their basic design from a Korean War aircraft.

FC

Whats interesting to me is that the prototype F-100A made its first flight a little less than two years before that of the F8U, but the Crusader represents a quantum leap in all-around performance, desipite being a carrier-based aircraft and using the same basic engine. I think the USAF just wanted a Mach 1 figther in service as soon as possible and all other considerations were secondary.

Somehow I just assumed than Hun was more of a rival to Mig-19 rather than 17, being supersonic and all...If i find to difficult to enjoy i'll just get back to f-8s, f-15s and f-4s. Thanks for your insight everyone! :good:

Edit: Hmm, should I have used "counterpart" instead for "rival"? Nevermind, time to go to bed :sleep:

Edited by SFP1Ace

The hun likes to be treated nice don't whip here hard, nice easy deliberate input to the control surfaces. She's one of the planes that will turn around and bite you....."HARD" if you whip her.

I am lucky to have an old Sidewinder Force Feedback stick so its easy to feel when the plane starts to buffet. Usually when I do a hard turn and drop under 300kts. I was reading somewhere that the plane had some sort of slat system? Anyways I can usually drop flaps that slow and stops the buffeting.