Sign in to follow this  
Fliegenhund

24.5hrs then wingman collision!

Got to 24.5hrs and 11 kills (28 claims) with my Jasta 1 pilot in 1915. Flying his last mission I was turning right to take out a BE2c and heard that dreaded ripping sound, and the screen went red. Either I or my wingman flew into the other and now he is gone. Oh the humanity!

post-51904-1249598612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fliegenhund

That's very often how a pilot 'goes West' once you've over 17 hours under your wings. Commiserations. You'll find plenty of pilots here as have suffered the same.

Wow, what an achievement - more than 17 hours on the Eindecker?!?!?

Can you tell more? What did you have to fight, and how often?

Bertincourt can't have been a quiet area?

Don't erase/retire this one - I have also kept my so far best pilot.

Thanks for the kind words Olham. It was a very active area and the only aircraft I encountered were Bristol Scouts and the very easy BE2c's. I always made sure I kept altitude and didnt commit until I was sure of a safe avenue, then I would climb after striking (scouts that is). That is why the collision was so sad after protecting him, but such is war.

I really grew to know that EIII though, could even use it in turning fights with some play on the rudders and keeping the nose just so. It is a challenging plane to fly but with practice I grew fond of it. I imagine after the "Fokker Scourge" period it would be quite frustrating. I have flown other campaigns in the Alb.III, SE5a, etc and the aircraft do most of the work for you. The Fokker III is a challenge and I think I shall make a new pilot and try to keep him alive even longer! :biggrin:

Interesting to hear, Fliegenhund, that you experienced your own 'Fokker Scourge' downing Bristol Scouts and BE2s. Shows that the devs have recreated WW1 in the air very well indeed.

Edited by Dej

That's very often how a pilot 'goes West' once you've over 17 hours under your wings. Commiserations. You'll find plenty of pilots here as have suffered the same.

i never experienced anything like this. i think it's more kind of beeing superstitious or beeing tensed when knowing somebody reached the magic mark because he starts to "think" about the mark. oh my god, i reached the mark. now i have to (tremble tremble) take extra care for him (tremble tremble). of course only in the back of the mind. but one might start to do things slightly differently or getting affected his S.A. because of trying to do it extra right, and that might also decrease the coolness of before.

same example there are infielders who are regurlarly making the errors after the 7th inning, and there's definitely no error factor implemented but simply bad luck or the same reasons mentioned above. :wink:

this is how the probably best of the best (boelcke) has lost his life. there is definitely no 17h bad luck factor programmed :good: .

i never experienced anything like this. i think it's more kind of beeing superstitious or beeing tensed when knowing somebody reached the magic mark because he starts to "think" about the mark. oh my god, i reached the mark. now i have to (tremble tremble) take extra care for him (tremble tremble). of course only in the back of the mind. but one might start to do things slightly differently or getting affected his S.A. because of trying to do it extra right, and that might also decrease the coolness of before.

same example there are infielders who are regurlarly making the errors after the 7th inning, and there's definitely no error factor implemented but simply bad luck or the same reasons mentioned above. :wink:

this is how the probably best of the best (boelcke) has lost his life. there is definitely no 17h bad luck factor programmed :good: .

I second that. Any suggestion that there is some algorithm to kill pilots off after 17 hours is just in jest. It's always due to pilot error.

Just had a QC: EIII vs Bristol Scout

And really - I managed to fight the scout down (a hell of squirming though).

I should try a campaign with it - was much more fun than I had expected.

Can you see, how many Bristol Scouts you downed, Fliegenhund?