Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

Losing a wingman

I have flown missions.. used warp .. saw no contacts on tac..flight uneventful... no AA..etc..returned to base and said my wingman died in combat..What happened

Squadron losses are purely random

Ther is no relation to your combat results

Aces die on their historical dates of demise

Look at it this way:

If you shoot down n Ace, he survived the crash

If your M8 dies, he folded her up on the runway

I have flown missions.. used warp .. saw no contacts on tac..flight uneventful... no AA..etc..returned to base and said my wingman died in combat..What happened

I may be wrong, but I think at least as many WW1 pilots died in non-combat accidents as in combat. Maybe he had a mechanical failure on the way home and crashed in some trees. Maybe he dweebed his landing. Maybe he got home OK from the mission but then got killed test-flying a machine that had just come out of the repair shop. Those sorts of things happened every day. I'm glad the campaign has such pointless wastage of human life--makes it feel more like WW1 grin.gif

I may be wrong, but I think at least as many WW1 pilots died in non-combat accidents as in combat. Maybe he had a mechanical failure on the way home and crashed in some trees. Maybe he dweebed his landing. Maybe he got home OK from the mission but then got killed test-flying a machine that had just come out of the repair shop. Those sorts of things happened every day. I'm glad the campaign has such pointless wastage of human life--makes it feel more like WW1 grin.gif

Hear, Hear! I had three wingmen in my first campaign with No. 56 Sqn. that had been with me from May 1917. In July we were posted back to Blighty. You'd think that'd be safe. No. Two of 'em died on the same stormy day, no one knows how. I collided with the third on our second mission back in France, killing him and myself. This game can suck... just the way Life can. You want immersion? You just experienced some.