Sign in to follow this  
Mugs

A-10 Radar Altimeter....

Has anyone noticed that when you bank the aircraft you lose radar altimeter coverage? I won't go into a lot of detail on how the actual aircraft system works other that to say it should maintain coverage even when banking.

It is a 'look down' instrument (generally) and it's orientation is directly related to this factor. When the aircraft is 'banking' it's down becomes sideways and thus no reading. It is not (to my knowledge) mounted on a gimble or gyro to keep it 'looking down'. Sorry you are dissappointed.

Hey Mugs are you the Mugs I know from the AF? Growler, there are altimeter antennas on the side of the vert stab which take over at 45 degrees of bank, you should not lose altimeter info while janking and banking unless you go inverted.

No Problem Dice. I was using what I had for information (based on experience) regarding this piece of equipment. That has been Rotory-winged aircraft. They tend not to exceed the 45 degree plane (much), and as they are not equiped with lateral sensors, the above is mostly true. [...whispers...(pilots sometimes like to test the limits of their airframes, but you probably know that)]. I suppose that even in a fixed-wing platform that once the 45 is pushed (terrain notwithstanding) the indications aren't exactly accurate for that brief time period, either. Anyway, no harm, no foul.

Edited by Growler67

Not a problem Growler just what you to have the right info. Hey Mugs nice to see ya around these part!