Sign in to follow this  
Axgrinder

Pearl Harbor Pics

Check this out! Some guys cleaning out an old house found an old Browning Camera with film still in it. This is what they found when they had it developed.[attachment=35765:file014.jpg]

Edited by Axgrinder

It's amazing that the film was still in a condition to be developed. Great find!

Even more amazing since they're exactly the same as pictures that have been out since the attack.

For whatever reason, the first time I looked at this thread, there were only three pictures (not of which I recollect ever seeing). Now, the rest are showing up, and you're absolutely right. These pics have been published for over 60 years.

Yes, I think, that "recently found sensation" bit is a make up. But I had never seen these pictures,

only the film "Pearl Harbour", where the raid is shown very well. And now I see, it really did look so

"Hollywood", or even worse.

New or old, they're still incredible pictures. I've definitely not seen some of them before, but even so, I think some of the Pearl Harpour photos are some of the most incredible and imotive war images ever captured.

It's a terrible thing that Robert Capa's photographs of D-Day were all but lost because the bloke developing the film made such a mess of it.

That's to bad these were around before. The story was good but even so the pictures are still amazing!

I havent seen many of these before..awesome

If you go to the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians website (www.ww1aero.org.au) you will see a copy of our latest newsletter. If you click on that, you will see a story about Richard Betteridge, an Air Mechanic with No 1 Sqn AFC and No 3 Sqn AFC. He was a keen photographer and took photos whereever he went, and recorded details of all the photographs. When it wasn't in use, his precious folding camera and album were hidden in a secret compartment at the bottom of his wooden trunk. It was found only last year by his sisters and his son.

This meticulously detailed record of the Squadrons he served in, and the places they served, was generously donated to our Society by his son.

Now THAT is a recent discovery from an even earlier time. Extraordinary to think these priceless items could have just been lost.

Have a peek at the newsletter (and website too!) if you're curious. I'm planning on signing the album out of our library when we have our AGM in November. Hope no one else has it booked.