Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

usb devices getting quirky

seems like my usb devices will stop working for a split second (or longer sometimes),,and then resume....

trackir will pan for a sec as i move my head,,,then stop,,then resume again.,,,,and its dropped me to a red light alot.....(and yes,,have uninstalled and reinstalled) Its to the point where i cant use it anymore..

joystick does the same,,,will be in a turn,,,and it will stop responding for a sec,,then be responsive again...and sometimes in level flight,,the plane will jerk up,,,as if i had pulled back on the stick.....also,,a light (not all of them,,just one), flickers,,and ususally the lack of response accompanyies the flicker..

not sure about the keyboard,,,cause i dont type all that fast....

if you were to guess...

software (os)

powersupply

motherboard.

Do you unplug/plug your controllers in a lot and if so, into the same ports or are they stationary?

plug_nickel (Al)

ok...should have included...

powered hub,,no,,,but everything has always worked fine in the past..

nope,,,everything stays plugged into whatever port they are in.

and did move joystick and trackir to front usb from back (which is never a good idea),,,but problems did not go away

Edited by sitting_duck

Go to the windows event viewer and look for any odd errors.

It mightn't be OS but you should start there.

"also,,a light (not all of them,,just one), flickers,,and ususally the lack of response accompanyies the flicker.."

software (os)

powersupply

motherboard.

?? Thinking back to the problem you had earlier with your system. Can you be more specific about "the light".

plug_nickel (Al)

saitex x45,,,,,hosta

has 2 leds on joystick,,,and one on throttle,,(which,,,just blinked as i was typing,,,,,)

would obviously think of it being a joystick issue,,but the trackir acted up the same time the joystick acted up....It will drop me to a red light,,,,i hit resume, and i go green again,,,then it will drop me to a red light again,,,

and when it is green,,,when i go to look behind me,,it will stop 1/2 round,,and no matter how much i move my head,,,will not respond,,so im stuck looking out the side of the plane....

same with stick,,i start a bank,,,plane gets stuck at the bank angle its at,, and i cant increse it...,,,(this is all for a split second or 2)

lol..and did the event map thing once before,,,,its LOADED with stuff,,,,

Hey S_D;

Me thinks you're getting ready to head down the same road once traveled before: deja-vu.

plug_nickel (Al)

cool...when i get at work,,,will look at it and get a screenshot,,then you can tell me what im looking at...

You can check USB Bandwith and Power in control panel /system.

I think Von Paulus is on the right track...TrackIR is a power hog compared to joysticks (e.g., on my system, 286mA for TrackIR, compared to 32mA for each of my three CH controllers). I set up three different USB hubs (one on front, two in rear) since my motherboard has 3 USB headers, and that way I always have enough power (especially when the wife wants to charge her iPod while I'm playing).

You should also go to Control Panel>System>DeviceManager>Universal Serial Bus controllers>USBRoot Hub, then right mouse click Properties>Power and check the voltage for the devices connected. Click the Power Management tab to see if the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checkbox is checked or not. My personal preference is to use NO power management schemes on my machine. When I'm not using it, it's turned off.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BirdDogICT

ok..already did that,,,and noticed that joystick and trackir are on same hub,,,,stick is drawing 25ma,,,track ir..(not even on,,ie game is not running,) is drawing 256ma

bandwith on the usb host controller is 10 on all but one,,,which is 23,,,but i have no idea how to connect which host controller corresponds to which hub (if that connextion can be made)

but,,keep in mind,,,BOTH went at once,,,,,,

and did update drivers,,(not off the web,,,just told it to update drivers)

Just don't use the same hub for joystick and TrackIR. In the hub you connect TrackIR try to not use another USB device.

S_D;

In the Event log, see if there are any entries that have an EMT tag with the joystick/TIR4 and if there are any entries that tag "root directory/windows/sys64_32 branch" or something similar with "sys64_32 branch".

plug_nickel (Al)

lol..ok,,,i had already been there,,,just didnt know if the errors you said to look for where in the application (ton of errors there),,,or system,,(some errors,,but not too many)