Sign in to follow this  
Schnitzel von Krumm

Lovely sea breeze

Can everyone stand one more thread praising the new expansion?:grin:

The wind effects are particularly nifty, I must say, although they certainly make things a bit trickier all around.

The first thing I did after install was to set up a pilot in Naval 10, based at lovely St.-Pol-sur-Mer in March of '17. I fired up a quick combat, just me and my trusty Tripe against three DIIIs, starting at 5000 ft. They came in at me from off the water. Not sure what they were up to out there, but as they neared the beach line it was clear they were up to no good. They were moving fast too, as it was a breezy day, with a strong wind off the water. I had only a few seconds to fiddle with the mixture and hope for the best.

As we closed, the leader opened up on me with both guns (The Germans carry two, you know. Seems they can't hit anything with just one, even though they're machine guns!) Fortunately, my erratic flying style saved me, even though there were an awful lot of bullets coming my way. Through luck more than anything, I managed to put a few shots into his crate as I bobbed like a yo-yo, barely clearing his top plane.

I spun around, aided I think by the wind, and immediately got on the leader's tail. I was close behind him and it didn't take long before their flight of three was down to two. The other two had split up, so I picked the one that was going my way.

We turned and turned and I eventually closed the gap, taking pot shots now and again. Shooting from a distance is a lot trickier with the wind, I must say. We were pretty close to the ground by the time I managed to get a decent burst into his cockpit. By then his cohort had managed to get around behind me, and tracers started whizzing past my head and took a few chunks out of the wings. I used what height I had to gain some speed and maybe turn the tables on him. Once again, I was fortunate to be turning with the wind.

I managed to get in position for a couple of shots, but that's all it was. I was out of ammo. I suppose I really ought to have brought a second machine gun.

At this point, I figured it was best to call it a day, and maybe head back to the field for a cup of tea, in a hole in the ground, behind a lot of sandbags. First, though, I had to find the field, which wasn't going to be easy, given that I was now a mile or two up the coast and had all of about 12 feet of altitude. All that turning and getting blown about left me a bit disoriented. and it's hard to see much when you're barely above the trees.

I skidded around and got myself pointed in what I thought was the right direction, with the surviving Hun a hundred feet behind me and fifty feet up. I figured I'd had it, but I kept on, dodging through the trees, slipping sideways in the wind. I had to chuckle as my pursuer's bullets constantly went wide, thanks to my unpredictable flying.

Then, up ahead, was home. I started to relax, getting ready to kill the engine and roll my plane up next to the other half dozen triplanes sitting neatly by the hangars. I was confident one of the boys would be good enough to put down his egg fork and tea cup long enough to come out and fire a few shots to ward off my pursuer.

I killed the engine and steered for a nice gap through those trees. A few more seconds and I'd set her down nice and pretty, hit the escape key and call it a day.

Ah, but the wind. One gust too many it was.

Anyway, once again, kudos on the new expansion. The unpredictable wind is a great addition. And the new trees look great too. I know, because I got a really close look at one. :yikes:

Edited by Schnitzel von Krumm

You are right SV Krumm, the wind is a great feature. I am very happy with it. The trees and Check Out the Mountains

You are right SV Krumm, the wind is a great feature. I am very happy with it. The trees and Check Out the Mountains

Yes I really agree about the mountains a great site to see, a great job on the exspansionclapping.gif