Sign in to follow this  
PG_Raptor

Doolittle Raiders

The Doolittle Raiders of fame from WWII had a reunion recently, and my aunt was lucky enough to be a chaperone. She sent some pictures to us, here's some of the better ones (sorry for all the pictures, but I thought you guys would enjoy them :D).

4 of the guys in front of a B-29:

Edited by PG_Raptor

Tung Sheng Lui is the Chinese man who helped plane #2 men survive. When he became a citizen of the US, he became an honorary Raider. Next to him is John Doolittle, James’ son:

Col Bob Wood and his “copilot”! He is a hoot. He donated $5000 to this event, flew in a B17 he owns, got 40 cases of Mondavi wine donated… etc, etc. Quite a character as you can see:

Very cool PG. I grew up reading about these guys in Jablonski's Airwar. They've always been some of my heroes. Woulda loved to have some of their autographs. They defined the word Fortitude...

PS. Just outta curiosity, where was the reunion held? You know off-hand?

Edited by pcpilot

Cool pics. It was just two days ago for the remember of the attack (april 18th 1942)

Salute

Dutchy

Pc, The reunion took place at Pima Air and Space Museum and Pima AF Base in Tucson AZ.

Something else from my aunt:

"The first image with the men in a row are Chase Nielsen, David Thatcher, Dick Cole, and Bob Hite, looking at his camera. Dick Cole is the only Raider still living who was in Plane #1 with Jimmy Doolittle. He told me he was 27 at the time, a Lt. Chase Nielsen is on of 4 Raiders who survived a crash.. and is part of the story 'Four Came Home'. David Thatcher is the youngest at about 86 years old. He and his wife Dawn were great. The man on the end looking at his camera is Bob Hite. He is definitely the funniest! He tried to take a picture of us, just after I took this picture. He is married to the widow of another Raider and brought his 15 year old Great Grandson with him."

Just a few weeks ago I saw the movie Pearl Harbor, and I was thinking of somebody knew of the Raiders are still alive.

Thanks to PG_Raptor, I have the answer.

ps. I find Pearl Harbor only the action good, not the romance in that movie.

Wish't I had heard of the reunion beforehand, coulda went. Tucson is only 8 hours from San Diego. Woulda loved to see these guys. That woulda been cool... :(

I agree Dutchy, I liked all the action, and the story of 2 guys wanting to fly was sorta cool too, but the 3 way romance was just plain STUPID! It woulda been a really good war flick then. Guess they had to please the women in the crowd... :huh:

The part that KILLED me was watching them blow up the 5 old Spruance destroyers in one scene. I almost wet myself as I used to serve on one in the Navy. Couldnt beleive they'd do that to fine old ships like the Spruances. I was surprised to find out later they almost all have been decommissioned. Guess you know yur gettin old when the ships you served on start getting decommed... :blink: :(

They've always been some of my heroes. Woulda loved to have some of their autographs. They defined the word Fortitude...

Was thinking bout that,also big brass ones,cojones..those guys(kids at the time) had it to spare!..why the nerve of taking off from a cv with army bombers... :lol: