Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Got An Odd Problem With Winme

This started a few months ago and cant seem to find out the whys and wherefores. If I click on a link that opens a new window, I get a new window that opens but the page doesnt load. For instance, when making this post, there is a link to the left beneath the smilies that says "BB Code Help". If I click that link I get the open window as usual...but it doesnt load. However, if I go to the top of the page and click the link to take me to Biohaz home, it works! Those links dont open another browser window, the original window goes to the new page. It only seems to be when a new window opens that it doesnt load, savvy? :)

Now the wierd part is, as far as I know I never changed anything. This is the second time a short time after I reformatted the HDD and reinstalled WinME that this has occured. It seems to work normally, then after a few weeks, something changes, and this problem occurs. I cant seem to pin down when or what it was I was doing when the change occured exactly. This can be really frustrating trying to clcik a link you NEED to read like the rules link for airline tickets or something.

My question to all you techies is; what the blue blazes is going on?? Is there a setting in IE that got changed? Im using IE6(?) version 5.50.4134.0100. Thanks for any ideas, or just yur shoulder to cry on... :blink:

First, scrap WinME. It sucks :P

Second, make sure you're not running a firewall/ad blocking software, or have it configured correctly. Some ad blockers will think that the new window is a pop-up, so you will see the new window, but the program will block anything from showing up.

Hope that helps.

First, AGREED! WinME annoys me a little more everytime some stupid problem like this occurs. Its history as soon as I can afford the change.

Second, dont have a firewall or adblocker going. Even my virus scanner usually isnt on perusing sites like this. Thought maybe it might be my security settings in WinME, or even IE, so I set them to low and still have the problem... :angry:

Excuse me whilst I smash my head on my keyboard...again... :blink: <_<

hmm... I don't know then. but don't hurt the keyboard (at least, not if its a nice one :) ) Check to make sure all your IE settings are the way they should be, etc, etc... Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Guess what! I found the problem...When I installed one of the service packs MS puts out to repair this crappy WinME product and try to fill the security holes, it changed one of the oleo32.dll files. This newer file was causing all my problems. I discovered this on trying to install the patch for Silent hunter 2 and it wouldnt go past the initialization of the install engine without an error message...cant think what the message was at the moment. I had had the same error message doing something else before so remembered it vaguely. On asking in the SH2 forum at Subsim.com about this issue, another member reminded me of the fix located on the MS website. I still had their executable fix file nessesary to replace the newer file with the original older one. VIOLA! Problem solved! Now all my links work, the patch installed like it should, and roses started growing outside my window again... :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for trying PG, appreciate it pal... ;)

No problem. That sounds like a complicated procedure though, lol. I still say you should trash ME though. ;)