Sign in to follow this  
12oclockhigh

Win 7 and Off

Look at these values: :yikes:

597938.jpg

Crazy bastards. I bet that this processor will not last long. Probably less than the first Wright Brothers flight.

Edited by Von Paulus

I agree this problem feels software based. The symptoms are exactly that of QnQ being enabled. Thanks for the link, Herr Prop Wasche. FYI I updated to BIOS version 2304 and you were right in how 'EZ' the process was. I also have used the Orthos program as recommended by Von Paulus with no change in core speed. Earlier Friday I tried Orthos with my work computer and it showed the difference between 'idle' modes and performance. I've also been experimenting with my other computer with overclocking just to get a feel for the different values and how they work together. Don't worry I am careful about temperatures. One thing I did last night was to overclock my 2.2 ghz to 2.4 ghz on core zero and had Off run there. I underclocked the other cores to 1.9 ghz.as they hardly get used at all. The result was virtually no change temperature wise from stock settings but with a little quicker feel to OFF itself.

I talked with the computer store owner and he has 'apoligized' for having a new employee work with my system. He will refund my diagonostic fee but wants another of his guys to have a look first. I'll take the computer back Tuesday and drop it off if I /we can't solve it in the meantime. We've got 72 hours guys, like television. After Tuesday I am out of town until Friday and won't need the computer anyway.

Again thanks for the support.

Just a thought. What are the CPU 'instructions' as shown by CPU-Z? Are these software based instructions(programs) actiing on the CPU?

IMHO you can try one last thing. Find the CLRCMOS jumper in the motherboard to clear the BIOS or take the battery out and wait for a few minuts. If you use the jumper, which is the best option, move the jumper to the other position and then move it back. Do all this with the computer completely power off. Then just set time, HD and don't change anything related with CPU. Go to windows and start CPU-Z and orthos. If didn't change anything, try again to disable AMD Cool and Quiet and C1 from BIOS. And try again orthos and CPU-Z. If doesn't change then you've a problem with that motherboard and that CPU.

CPU-Z, as far as I know, gathered those values directly from the CPU and the motherboard. What you mean by CPU instructions?

Besides you've also HWmonitor that reads directly from the motherboard sensors.

EDIT: Know I saw what you mean by instructions. It's the set of instructions your processor accepts. They are always creating new technologies. For example if you want to now if your processor is MMX compatible that it must display that information in the Instructions field in CPU-Z.

Edited by Von Paulus

IMHO you can try one last thing. Find the CLRCMOS jumper in the motherboard to clear the BIOS or take the battery out and wait for a few minuts. If you use the jumper, which is the best option, move the jumper to the other position and then move it back. Do all this with the computer completely power off. Then just set time, HD and don't change anything related with CPU. Go to windows and start CPU-Z and orthos. If didn't change anything, try again to disable AMD Cool and Quiet and C1 from BIOS. And try again orthos and CPU-Z. If doesn't change then you've a problem with that motherboard and that CPU.

CPU-Z, as far as I know, gathered those values directly from the CPU and the motherboard. What you mean by CPU instructions?

EDIT: Know I saw what you mean by instructions. It's the set of instructions your processor accepts. They are always creating new technologies. For example if you want to now if your processor is MMX compatible that it must display that information in the Instructions field in CPU-Z.

OK, I'll try the CMOS jumper and let you know.

Hi Von Paulus. I did exactly as you suggested. Moved the jumper over and left it for a few minutes. Then moved it back, rebooted, set the time and date only as BIOS found the drives and then went to Windows to check CPU-Z and Orthos. There is no change at all from 800 mhz. I then went back into BIOS to check Cool and Quiet but it is disabled by default along with CIE so I am back to square one. I did notice a jumper on the motherboard during this process for overclocking voltage but thats for extreme overclocks of 1.9v or so. Of course I didn't fiddle with that.

Yes try also the power options suggested by Herr, but I doubt that will change anything.

You've a problem with your motherboard. Like I've told you before, there was at least one person who had the same complaining with the same motherboard model.

I honestly don't know what you can do more...

Let them see at the computer shop, but if they don't give you a solution, than ask for a RMA.

Yes try also the power options suggested by Herr, but I doubt that will change anything.

You've a problem with your motherboard. Like I've told you before, there was at least one person who had the same complaining with the same motherboard model.

Let them see at the computer shop, but if they don't give you a solution, than ask for a RMA.

I think you are right. I'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll buy a new board and when Asus returns the 'fixed' board that will give me a start towards another system. Just trying to find a positive.

thanks...

read the link you provided and that sure looks like a duplicate stuation. I'm emailing it to the tech guys at the store. Might save them a lot of trouble. It doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the board they'll eventually send back. Hopefully that guy in the link just hit a stretch of bad luck.

read the link you provided and that sure looks like a duplicate stuation. I'm emailing it to the tech guys at the store. Might save them a lot of trouble. It doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the board they'll eventually send back. Hopefully that guy in the link just hit a stretch of bad luck.

I mostly sell and use Asus motherboards, mainly because it's a brand that I trust for more than 12 years. Good and bad models every brand has.

So it's natural that once in a while I go to their forums to trobleshoot my customers problems. If you see only one complaining with a similar problem that doesn't mean it's characteristic of that model. Only it happens.

So that doesn't mean a thing. That particular model was probably a rather successful in terms of selling; so I don't think you or the shop has made a bad choice. If you're going to buy a new one on the same shop then I only advise you to test it with your CPU and CPU-Z before buying and bringing home. Then, I'm sure, you'll see OFF "fly" with that processor.

Please keep us informed.

I mostly sell and use Asus motherboards, mainly because it's a brand that I trust for more than 12 years. Good and bad models every brand has.

So it's natural that once in a while I go to their forums to trobleshoot my customers problems. If you see only one complaining with a similar problem that doesn't mean it's characteristic of that model. Only it happens.

So that doesn't mean a thing. That particular model was probably a rather successful in terms of selling; so I don't think you or the shop has made a bad choice. If you're going to buy a new one on the same shop then I only advise you to test it with your CPU and CPU-Z before buying and bringing home. Then, I'm sure, you'll see OFF "fly" with that processor.

Please keep us informed.

I am looking forward to one day playing OFF with the frame rates other guys talk about. So maybe in a week or so from now I'll know.

I am looking forward to one day playing OFF with the frame rates other guys talk about. So maybe in a week or so from now I'll know.

12ockockhigh,

I've been following this thread for a few days...am in the process of a new build and am experiencing the same issues with an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO and Phenom II X2 550 processor. The BIOS on our machines are much the same.

I just put my PC together this afternoon, and am seeing the same thing you are: if I set core speed and mulitplier to AUTO, the result is a CPU bus speed of 200MHz with a 4X multiplier, so CPU-Z shows a Core Speed of 800. But if I start a CPU-intensive program like Prime-95, the CPU speed jumps to the default Core Speed of 3100 MHz (default speed for the X2 550 is 200MHz CPU bus speed X 15.5 multiplier= 3100MHz).

Fluctuating core speeds and multipliers are the result of CPU design to reduce power use when the system is idle (a long time feature of AMD and Intel chips). Now ordinarily, disabling Cool and Quiet and C1E are enough to stop the fluctuating multipliers and core speeds, but for some reason, they don't seem to work with the new AM3 CPUs (at least with my combination of CPU and motherboard). I haven't had time to research the issue, but it looks like your PC may be working as it should. It could be a Windows 7 issue...not sure yet.

I just put my PC together this afternoon, and am seeing the same thing you are: if I set core speed and mulitplier to AUTO, the result is a CPU bus speed of 200MHz with a 4X multiplier, so CPU-Z shows a Core Speed of 800. But if I start a CPU-intensive program like Prime-95, the CPU speed jumps to the default Core Speed of 3100 MHz (default speed for the X2 550 is 200MHz CPU bus speed X 15.5 multiplier= 3100MHz).

He tried it with orthos with no success, BirdDog. The core speed didn't jump even with cpu stress programs.

I don't think in his case it's a Win7 issue.

He tried it with orthos with no success, BirdDog. The core speed didn't jump even with cpu stress programs.

I don't think in his case it's a Win7 issue.

I hadn't responded to this thread because you offered good advice and there wasn't much I could add to the discussion, but my problem sounded SO similar. You're right...it wasn't Win7. My problem turned out to be operator error. Thought I had turned Cool & Quiet off, but it got turned back on mysteriously while testing my overclock.

Slightly OT, but I had good luck with my new budget build: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, AMD Phenom II X2 550, 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 DDR3, ATI 5770, Corsair 750W PSU, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Antec 900 Two case, Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, Windows 7 64 bit. Was unable to unlock the additional cores, but have two running rock solid at 3.6 GHz and temp never gets over 33C. BHaH screams at 5-3-3-5-5 and 1920X1080 with all eye candy on and object density on high. Runs fine at 5-4-4-5-5 also, but have to turn down the number of objects. Pretty sweet! Have had great luck with ASUS boards the last 12...have built 8 PCs for friends and family and most are still running.

My problem turned out to be operator error. Thought I had turned Cool & Quiet off, but it got turned back on mysteriously while testing my overclock.

Hmmm. Sometimes we do things unaware. Other times it seems that the damn machines have free will.

Slightly OT, but I had good luck with my new budget build: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, AMD Phenom II X2 550, 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 DDR3, ATI 5770, Corsair 750W PSU, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Antec 900 Two case, Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, Windows 7 64 bit. Was unable to unlock the additional cores, but have two running rock solid at 3.6 GHz and temp never gets over 33C. BHaH screams at 5-3-3-5-5 and 1920X1080 with all eye candy on and object density on high. Runs fine at 5-4-4-5-5 also, but have to turn down the number of objects. Pretty sweet! Have had great luck with ASUS boards the last 12...have built 8 PCs for friends and family and most are still running.

It seems a nice rig. At least the brands you've choose are top of the notch. I'm not an AMD adept but the only thing I'd change would be the graphic card. I know it would be a little more expensive, but that machine deserves. I'd choose a 5850. I know it's expansive but you could wait a while, because the price will drop when the new Nivida's come out.

One thing I notice the last 5850 and 5870 are bigger; I'm afraid my Antec case will not survive my next graphic card upgrade.

It seems a nice rig. I'm not an AMD adept but the only thing I'd change would be the graphic card. I know it would be a little more expensive, but that machine deserves. I'd choose a 5850. I know it's expansive but you could wait a while, because the price will drop when the new Nivida's come out.One thing I notice the last 5850 and 5870 are bigger; I'm afraid my Antec case will not survive my next graphic card upgrade.

Like I said, it's a budget build. I wanted a 5850, but the 5770 gives good bang for the buck. With the big PSU, it'll be easy to add another in Crossfire when the prices come down again. Could add more memory and move to a quad core, but the overclocked dual core is ideal for BHaH.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Hello all,

I am back. I installed a new mobo, also the m4a79xtd evo as per BirdDogICT and presto, problem solved. I've been playing OFF the last couple of hours as a test with sliders at 5 and getting smooth frame rates in the 45 to sixty range . My CPU now runs at 3200 mhz. Von Paulus, you said that I may have had this problem all along and at the computer shop they agreed. Apparently some of the m4a79t deluxe boards did not support the 955 BE CPU right from the factory. This is something I should have picked up on at the start. We did check the bios at the time of purchase and of course it showed the CPU at 3200 because it is reading the CPU bios and not the actual clock speed so I never paid it any thought. Only when I got to a single core dependant game did the problem show up, exactly as Von Paulus has said. By the way they were very courteous at the shop. They even rma'd my old board for me and will call when ASUS sends it back. Also Win 7 made the install of the new board a snap. It found all the drivers and installed everything. I only had to tweak a couple of things (Freetrack) but that's all so far. I'm impressed.

So I am a happy camper at last. This has been a journey and much thanks to all who helped out. Unfortunately I am still getting shot down, its just happens smoother now......

Edited by 12oclockhigh

Hey, congratulations 12 o'clock! Great news and great to hear that you are finally experiencing OFF in all of its glory! I am now looking forward to hearing about your exploits in the main forum. :drinks: