Sign in to follow this  
waco1937

Aircraft engines

I'm used to mucking around in M$ sim files and folders but not these, so I have another question. Where in FE are aircraft engine sounds kept. Main Sound folder? Individual aircraft folder? Or where? Or is there one engine sound for all aircraft engines?

All sounds are kept in the Sounds folder in the main sim directory. The sounds are referred to by various ini files.

I would recommend starting here in the Knowledge Base:

http://forum.combatace.com/forum/168-new-to-thirdwire-sims-sf-series-wov-woe-woi-first-eagles/

Specifically, note the threads on Basic Definition of Terms, Acronyms, and Basic Directory Structure.

FC

Thanx again, FC. So .ini files are similiar to config files.

Correct. Other than the hardcoded .dlls and .exe files, most everything else about the sim is controlled through the .ini files....which are editable in Notepad (basic text files).

FC

Well, I've learned to edit with Notepad in M$ flight sims. Thanx again & again, FC. Salute.gif You're no doubt wishing I'd run out of questions.

...is there one engine sound for all aircraft engines?

The stock sim has only one engine sound, 'proploop'. But if you have paid for another WWI sim :grin: then it is very easy to compare and contrast then import favourite sounds from there and then go into the individual aircraftdata.ini files (i.e. DR1data.ini) and edit the engine sound file entry to match the sound file name. Do it for as many A/C as you like, I'm sure you get the picture. I've kept it simple to maybe a half dozen myself, but go wild!

There also is a pretty good rotary engine sound file for the Dr1 here in the Combatace FE download section (I think...), as well as a host of gun sounds, archie, etc. You can even introduce new sounds to the sim, as one modder (name escapes me) added a canvas ripping sound to compliment the damage model. Again, go wild!

I think you'll find 3rdwire sims to be so much more friendly to personal modding once you figure out what/where things are. Funny, I find myself in the very opposite situation having to figure out how to mod CFS3-ETO :heat: But my, I'm impressed by what those fellows have done to that ugly duckling!!!