Sign in to follow this  
PG_Raptor

Animal Face-off

I'm just curious, has anyone else seen Animal Face-off on the Dicovery Channel? I've been volunteering at zoo for the better part of 8 years, so I'm interested in animals quite a bit.

On the show, a team of mechanics, animal experts, etc get together and build mechanical animals (for example, todays show was Tiger vs. Lion), get as much info on them as they can, and then download all the data into a computer. Then the put to two virtual animals in a fight to see which would win.

The teams do a very nice job of getting data and compiling it, which makes for a very realistic looking fight between the animals. Has anyone else seen it?

Yes, overall a great show. The testing and everything is very thorough, I especially like the ones with the Smilodon (Sabre Tooth) and the Shark/Crocodile comparison. The Lion/Tiger got subjective at the end with the virtual battle. Maybe in generalizing their hypothisis would have been proved. However, if pitting two individual animals ifn the same scenario, each one would draw from their personal experiences and the result may have been too close to call. Just my two cents.

Yea, the one that I've caught so far was a pairing of the tiger with the brown bear derivitive known as the grizzly. Pretty cool matchup. B)

Yea, the one that I've caught so far was a pairing of the tiger with the brown bear derivitive known as the grizzly. Pretty cool matchup.  B)

Yeah, that was the first full one I saw, that was what really got my attention. Very cool B) And yes, growler, there's always the lack of personal experience. But then again, you can only go so far with a computer. Though I think it would be better if they ran the test like 5 times instead of just once, to see if there are any different outcomes. It's still cool to watch the stainless steel claws rip through the deer though :D

You all should've seen "Flying Shark vs Flying Crocodile" on adultswim. Its had a six week build up ad campaign for a 30 second long clip of sock puppets fighting, in my opinion...a comedic masterwork.