Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Updated FMs No2

New FMs for the BE.2C, BE.2D, Farman MF11c, FE.2B, Sopwith Strutter and Se5a.

Also included are:

- Two DH-4 FMs, with aileron/elevator graphics corrected.

- An Re8 FM and folder as I didn't include the cockpit for it to be flyable in previous download.

- An "Avionics" file in Se5a folder, that eliminates telescoping of the Aldis; it wasn't a telescopic sight, and aiming is easier with this modification I think. If you prefer the telescopic sight either don't add the "Avionics" file in the download (in the Se5a folder), or delete it after installing/trying it - it will revert to the default.

The Farman is Bortdafarms' "Farman MF11c" model. Bort did quite a few variations, this is the only one I'm doing an FM for, it has a gunner in the rear.

The Be2s, Farman, Fe2b, Se5a are mostly major improvements IMO to others I did previously.

The Strutter is my first for this plane, I didn't do the previous one that came with the model. This one is quite capable as a 1916 fighter.

Any feedback appreciated.

No2 2010 FMs - Be2s Farman Fe2b Strutter Se5a Dh4 Re8.zip

IMPORTANT

=========

You must have installed "FE Nov 2008 Game Files" component within the "UPDATED FE Plane FMs for Nov 2008 Patch" for everything such as guns, loadouts and pilot models to work properly. It is available here at CombatAce: First Eagles by Thirdwire> First Eagles Add-On Aircraft> Flight Models.

INSTALLATION

============

1) I recommend you backup the folders of the above aircraft before installing.

2) Place all the files from this download into the corresponding plane folders in the /Objects/Aircraft of your First Eagles installation.

Edited by peter01

Ummm.

Bit of a problem with the Strutter FM above. With the COG - so you as pilot are sitting behind the cockpit instead of in the cockpit. The following FM fixes this, and the FM is fine, but very slightly different after a few quick fixes. I'll have to look at this more down the track, and could change the FM again. In the meantime:

Strutter.zip

While trying to work out where I introduced the mistake a few months ago (when I did this FM) I also saw/remembered that it came with specific rotary sound "RotaryEngineClerget130", that I never used. The FM still uses the standard sound "RotaryEngine", but you can revert to the original by changing the following in the data file strutter_data.ini:

//EngineSoundName=RotaryEngineClerget130

EngineSoundName=RotaryEngine

to ...

EngineSoundName=RotaryEngineClerget130

//EngineSoundName=RotaryEngine

Edited by peter01

Excellent stuff, Peter! :good:

Fixing the DH4's nose heaviness and the Strutter's ineffective rudder are especially welcome changes.

Just as a FYI: You have the DH4 engine sound as "RotaryEngine". "PropLoop" would be more suitable I think.

What's up next?

Thanks Peter!

Still struggling through your winter campaigns. Now that there is lots of snow on the ground outside, it just seems right!

Excellent stuff, Peter! :good:

Fixing the DH4's nose heaviness and the Strutter's ineffective rudder are especially welcome changes.

Just as a FYI: You have the DH4 engine sound as "RotaryEngine". "PropLoop" would be more suitable I think.

What's up next?

LOL, Bucky, I have made so many changes to so many things for my own game, often just trialling things out, and with different versions of similar FMs in different installs! One of the problems I'm having is confirming which version is the last or the best, and getting them "presentable", like corrrect engine sounds :).

But OTH for what I'm trying to do (slower roll than TKs - which adds considerable difficulty and/or limits options, variety, earlier planes somewhat different to later planes, and for my joystick), I think I've finally hit the limit in terms of what you can achieve with TKs current EP flight model for FE. So once things like errors or oversights are eliminated, these are definitely the last lot from me for this version of the game.

Next? Not sure, just a matter of which ones I'm in the mood to revisit and test (especially as AI - and that does become tiresome). I'll upload most here eventually, hopefully - have redone around 40 different planes.

Edited by peter01

...One of the problems I'm having is confirming which version is the last or the best, and getting them "presentable"...

I think we can all relate to that...Sometimes, halfway through editing some file or other, I totally forget what I'm in there for in the first place...So how you do what you do, sorting all those numbers to fine tune the FM's is like total black magic to me!

Thanks again man, I'm really looking forward to the next batch.

Oh incidentally, I've been trying to make another version of the SE5a, without the Aldis sight. The 'Mydummyweaponstation' trick doesn't seem to work...Do you think it can be done?

I think we can all relate to that...Sometimes, halfway through editing some file or other, I totally forget what I'm in there for in the first place...So how you do what you do, sorting all those numbers to fine tune the FM's is like total black magic to me!

Thanks again man, I'm really looking forward to the next batch.

Oh incidentally, I've been trying to make another version of the SE5a, without the Aldis sight. The 'Mydummyweaponstation' trick doesn't seem to work...Do you think it can be done?

No, I don't think it can be done, not in any way I've tried in any case. The Aldis and especially its associated code in the game engine isn't the same as all of the other "run of the mill" bits and pieces on planes that you can take off reasonably easily.

Peter,

To go back to your massive opus FM pack release last summer, one thing I have noticed are problems with the N17 FM, and posted a thread to it a while back, link HERE.

I won't reiterate the whole thread, but the AI flying N17's just are not flying combat effectively, if flying at all. They are like pilots in training, deathly afraid to turn or even climb. The early Nieuports are some of my favourite crates to fly and hope this can be resolved, because as Bucky mentioned, what you do is all black magic voodoo to most of us...

@ Bucky, not sure why you want to get rid of the Aldis, it is an excellent gunsight once you get used to it. Have you lowered the magnification for the Aldis? It had columnating lenses, and so was not a telescopic sight as TK has it in the stock ini file (or has he changed it?). Do you have TIR? If not, then I could also see your issue with it, it wouldn't be as effective as a ring site.

No, I don't think it can be done, not in any way I've tried in any case.

Shame that...Thanks for the confirmation though.

Peter,

@ Bucky, not sure why you want to get rid of the Aldis,...

Do you have TIR? If not, then I could also see your issue with it, it wouldn't be as effective as a ring site.

Got it in one Bandy!...No TrackIR. I'm an old fashioned 'Padlock' kinda guy! But regardless of that, I'd still like to have a go in the SE5, sans Aldis. Some pilots had 'em removed, preferring the ring 'n bead. I have lowered the Aldis' magnification though.

Cheers fellas.

Bucky

Peter,

To go back to your massive opus FM pack release last summer, one thing I have noticed are problems with the N17 FM, and posted a thread to it a while back, link HERE.

I won't reiterate the whole thread, but the AI flying N17's just are not flying combat effectively, if flying at all. They are like pilots in training, deathly afraid to turn or even climb. The early Nieuports are some of my favourite crates to fly and hope this can be resolved, because as Bucky mentioned, what you do is all black magic voodoo to most of us...

@ Bucky, not sure why you want to get rid of the Aldis, it is an excellent gunsight once you get used to it. Have you lowered the magnification for the Aldis? It had columnating lenses, and so was not a telescopic sight as TK has it in the stock ini file (or has he changed it?). Do you have TIR? If not, then I could also see your issue with it, it wouldn't be as effective as a ring site.

Hi Bandy, I'll include the N17 in the next upload.

I'd agree that the descoped Aldis is good, and a very effective sight in the game with or without TiR IMO. I fly without TiR for testing, with when just playing.

Thats good news about the N17,it's one of my favorites.I spent some time flying the Se-5 today and enjoyed the FM and sight changes.Thanks

Edited by whiteknight06604

Hi Bandy, I'll include the N17 in the next upload.

Many thanks Peter, as always you are too good to us. :bowdown2:

Peter,

Are the Nieuport AI improved now Bandy?

Edited by peter01